Chapter-20

"What is this?" Ethan asked with a quizzical expression as his eyes scanned through the guide

"What is this?" Ethan asked with a quizzical expression as his eyes scanned through the guide. He opened it cautiously, his eyes holding a number of unanswered questions.

"It's blank," He rolled his eyes at me.

"I know it is blank. But not for me."

"What is that even supposed to mean?" Ethan asked being visibly confused.

I inhaled deeply and told him everything. How I met the old man. How the book revealed characteristics of my soulmate little by little. How magical it was and how it appeared blank to anyone else who tried to read it. Ethan didn't budge the whole time. He listened to me quietly, his eyes narrowing and widening with every word I spoke. His face seemed mystified  at the oddly intriguing mystery of the guide.

"How can we find her?" He broke the brief, awkward silence.

I handed him the journal in which I had written all the characteristics step by step.

"Can you help me?" I tittered.

"Well...okay. First of all, tell me the names of the girls who are the closest to you. I guess I already know that but you, Blakie, have been keeping secrets lately." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Yeah whatever," I shrugged.

"Fiona has been my best friend since childhood so let's say she is very close to me. Then there is Leah..." I paused.

"Who is your new bestfriend right? Or rather, your crush?" He cocked his eyebrows as a sly grin erupted on the corner of his lips.

"Shut up." I facepalmed at the typical Ethan who hops around shipping people for no reason at all.

"Time will tell Blakie." Ethan smirked.

"By the way, are you sure Fiona and Leah are the only ones? Any other girl ?" Ethan asked as though he didn't trust me anymore.

"I don't know, Rachel maybe..." I looked at Ethan.

"Don't you dare Blakie! That's my department," He swayed his lips annoyingly.

"C'mon she is so pretty after all. Her eyes...Damn her eyes," I teased Ethan.

"Yeah yeah fine. Can we continue now?" He shook his head.

I giggled at his sudden change of expressions.

"The first characteristic is dark eyes. Let this genius think now Blakie. You better remain quiet." His eyes held a superior shine.

In times of need one has to bow before the buffon indeed.

I sighed.

"Leah has hazel eyes. I don't think she fits in the category. Fiona has dark eyes, pure black. I guess we have a clear winner here." He looked at me, expecting an answer.

"I guess I am supposed to stay quiet because a genius is here," I narrowed my eyes at him.

He rolled his eyes dramatically.

"The second characteristic is that she is your classmate. Both the girls fit in this category but Leah is a new student so technically..."

"That does not clear it up. She is new doesn't mean she isn't my classmate." I couldn't control myself.

"Calm down Blakie. Let me analyze things," Ethan read out the next characteristic.

"Your soulmate is an orphan. Hmm... I don't think Leah is an orphan. You have met her parents, haven't you?" Ethan asked me.

"Yes. I have met them. They seem like a happy family." I rubbed my temples.

"Fiona has never talked about her parents. I've heard from some classmates that she merely dodges the topic when someone asks her about her family. What conclusion do we derive?"
Ethan asked me with perplexity.

"I don't know what to say bruh. It's like...It's just hard to believe. She lives  alone. She is very close to her Aunt from Canada though. Every characteristic is telling me that it's Fiona but..."

"But what Blakie? Look. She has been your best friend since seventh grade. You know every little thing about her. How is that possible that she hasn't ever talked about her parents? Think Blake think." Ethan motioned me to take a deep breath.

"I don't know. Just proceed to the next characteristic." I scratched my head.

"Your soulmate's zodiac sign is aquarius," Ethan read out loud.

"When is Leah's birthday?" We both chorused, exchanging glances.

What a fool I am to not know something this obvious.

"I'll ask her right now." Ethan took out his cellphone from his pocket. He dialed her number calmly.

The call kept connecting. My heart kept hammering against my chest.

Pick up

Pick up

"Hey Ethan." I could hear Leah's sweet yet sleepy voice from the other side of the phone. Ethan had put the call on  speaker.

"Hey Leah. Umm...I need a quick answer. When is your birthday?" Ethan asked her.

"It's on the thirteenth of August.Why do you ask though?" She replied. I could virtually feel her confused expression as she spoke those words.

"Nothing. Goodnight," Ethan hung up without even waiting for her response.

"She is not an aquarius. Hence, proved." Ethan gave me the same superior look.

"Fiona is not an aquarius too. I believe aquas are February borns." I stated the fact.

"Fiona's birthday is on the thirtieth of January Blake. Aquarius is from January twenty to February nineteen. It does make a lot of sense." Ethan spoke.

"Maybe...The guide is just framing Fiona to make me lose my track. Maybe it's someone else." I tried to think out of the box.

"You're right. Maybe it's Jennifer Stone." Ethan clapped his hands together.

"It isn't funny Ethan. I have left her behind. I have moved on. She can never be the one." I suddenly became furious at him.

"Then you tell me Blake. How on  Mother Earth can a guide frame someone?  Why are you even trying out illogical theories when you know it is Fiona? It was always her. Why the hell are you forcing me to believe that it's Leah?" Ethan retorted back.

"Because," I gulped.

"Because what? Let it out Blake." Ethan spoke.

"Because I freaking love Leah. I love her."

_________________________________________