Chapter-3

"Mr

"Mr. Blake Anderson. Meet me in my office right now." Headmistress Laura's voice echoed in the huge corridor. "Why does she always choose you?" Ethan and Fiona chorused.

"Because maybe, no one is smarter than me," I smirked. I walked towards her room and opened the door. She sat on her long chair with a grave expression which was not surprising. "Yes ma'am," I spoke.

"You have been selected for the General Knowledge quiz. Meet me in the auditorium after half an hour." She said.

"Alright ma'am," I obeyed.

I participate in a number of quiz competitions every year and there is not even one who can defeat me. Weird, eh?

After hanging out in the cafeteria for a while, I realised that it was time for the quiz. I took a writing pad and a pen and headed to the auditorium. There were about ten more students sitting on the stage which made me realise I was kind of late. Without glancing at the participants, I quickly sat down and got ready. After 45 minutes, we all submitted our papers. The results were to be announced after the next period. After attending the class, we all gathered in the auditorium, again.

"Students, the results for the General Knowledge quiz are finally out. Allow me to give away the prizes." Mrs. Laura spoke on the podium. Cheers and applauses filled the room.

"The consolation prize goes to Becky Hurdwood."

"The third prize goes to Rachel Hanks."

(crowd cheers)

And the second prize goes to... Blake Anderson.

I paused then and there. I froze. How could I come second? That was impossible. Headmistress Laura looked at me as though she was disappointed and so was I.
I waited for her to disclose the winner's name.

"And the first prize goes to... LEAH HARLOW."

I saw the girl stand up from her desk and move to the podium. She had hazel eyes and her hair was dark brown. She was fair and looked quite lady-like. Wait. She was the new girl. The girl I was supposed to show the school to. She stood first? How? I stared at her wide-eyed. The pride in her eyes as she adorned the Gold medal pissed me off.

I left the auditorium in rage. I was walking when someone lightly tapped my shoulder. I looked back to find Leah.

"Hey, I am Leah Harlow. Umm.. You are supposed to help me out right?" she asked.

"Yeah sure, why not?" I replied trying to hide my rage.

"Can you suggest me what can I do for the talent show in the fifth period ? Actually I am new here and I don't know what type of presentations are appreciated by the headmistress." she requested in a soft voice.

"Oh, our headmistress. She loves dogs. If you present a  dog show, you will surely become her favorite." I said chuckling.

"Oh really? Thank you so much. You are very kind,"She spoke cheerfully.
"Please don't mention it. After all I am supposed to help you out."I said failing to control my laughter. "Goodbye," she whispered and went away.

"Mrs. Laura hates dogs. She is creeped out by them. Probably, if she presents a dog show, she will be unable to give the examinations. " I couldn't help giggling hard while telling my friends about it. However, they didn't seem to like the joke and gave me a blank stare.

"You can't do this to a new girl. That is mean." Ethan spoke with disappointment.

"Yeah. You have any idea how bad the consequences can be if she actually ends up presenting a dog show?" Fiona and James questioned.

I now realised what I had actually done.  But it was very late! The talent show was supposed to start by 12:30 pm. And it was 1:45 already. I ran to the auditorium, constantly blaming my stupid mind for being so selfish just because I didn't bag the first prize. I reached there breathing heavily, but I was late. The talent show had already ended. I asked a girl sitting there if Leah was there. She said in a grave tone, "She left."

It scared me. I ran to the restroom area where I found Leah all red and teary eyed. "I.. Ummm...I'm sorry I.." I stammered. She wiped her face with her bare hands and left, almost ignoring me. I felt really guilty. That night, I sat under the stars and told my dog Charlie all about that happened. It is funny but my dog is really my best friend. "Should I apologize to her?" I asked him. He barked. "But I don't know how to...like I never apologized to someone before." I was in a dilemma. Suddenly my dog jumped upon me and started licking my cheecks. "Okay, okay, I'll say sorry to her."I said cuddling him and finally made him sleep. I headed to my room after that.

I saw the soulmate guide almost protruding out from my school bag. I picked it up to read it but I couldn't concentrate. My mood didn't allow me to do it, so I just closed it, stashed it in my bag again and tried to sleep. Next day was the final football selection early in the morning and I couldn't afford to sacrifice my sleep so, ignoring all of my thoughts about Leah, I dozed off.

I woke up, had my black coffee and drove to school. My friend James was there to see the match and of course, Fiona was there to cheer for me as well as Ethan, who was also  supposed to be a part of the match. They wished us luck  as I headed towards my locker and took my bag which contained my football essentials. My football jersey, my studs and all other items. I changed in about 10 minutes and marched to the field.

I could not lose this match at all. I stretched my hands and took my position. Coach Henry whistled, marking the beginning of the match. As soon as it started, I tried to run for the ball. But to my dismay, I couldn't! My feet. I couldn't move them at all. They seemed to be stuck to my studs. A few moments later, my jersey started bothering me too. I started to itch terribly.
"Run after the ball Blake." Ethan shouted.
"My legs are heavy. I can't do it."

Ethan left the match for me at once and guided me to the changing room.

"I can manage now Ethan. You go. You can't miss the match." I told him.
"But I can't leave you like that. " Ethan spoke hesitantly. "GO!" I interrupted him.
He silently went away.

I leaned down to check my studs. Holycrap! Someone put hot glue in it. Then I checked my jersey. It had very minute little bugs in it. There was a note in my bag too, that read, Now you know how it feels loser- LEAH HARLOW.
I took the peice of paper and squeezed it in anger "YOU ARE GONE MISS HARLOW." I murmured in rage.
_________________________________________