The Stains That Don't Wash Away

......................

PEETA POV

......................

I wasn't sure where Katniss had gone off to. I asked her to wait for me while I signed the documents declaring myself as a senator of District Twelve for Carolina, but when I went back into the hall, she was gone. No one in the immediate area had seen her, either, so I was just left wondering where the hell she went. I checked my watch - it was a little after two. Lunch started at half past two, so I resigned myself to go to the cafeteria and joined Johanna, the Odair, Calum, Cailean and Carolina at the table. "None of you have seen Katniss, have you?" I asked them.

"Wasn't she with you?" asked Carolina. "She was with you when I asked you to go back into the command room."

"I know, she was right there! But when I got back, she was gone," I said. I tried not to worry about her, but it was hard not to after not knowing what was going on with her at all for over two years. I didn't see her at all until dinner, when she finally showed up and sat down beside me.

"Hello, mo ghaol ," she said seemingly with exhaustion in her voice. She leaned in to kiss me, but I held up a finger to her lips to stop her.

"Where were you today? You completely disappeared with no word to anyone," I said to her rather sternly, and she sat back and looked at me as if I had insulted her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think I had to tell you my whereabouts every moment of my life," she spat at me.

"Don't start, Katniss. I spent five months thinking you were dead and two years without you. You can at least tell me where you're going for the rest of the duration of the rebellion," I said firmly, putting my foot down. She was stubborn, and usually I was the more passive one, but this one I wasn't letting slide. She let out a sigh.

"All right. I went to the hospital. Remember they asked me to help them out there? Turns out they don't have a single obstetrician in the entire district so I'm the only one here who is qualified to deliver pre and post-natal care," she said. I'd almost forgotten that she had once been a midwife in District Twelve.

"And you couldn't have waited five minutes to tell me that?" I asked her.

"There was an emergency," she said, and she paused for a moment. "Annie went into labour early."

"She what ?" exclaimed Carolina, and Katniss nodded.

"The baby survived, she's in an incubator, though. She was born four months early," Katniss told her.

"That's awful! Well, wonderful that the baby survived but awful that this had to happen!" said Carolina.

"Should I check in with Finnick?" I asked her.

"He's been an absolute mess, worrying about Annie and then having to look after Killick. He could use a friend," Katniss replied. "Sorry I didn't tell you, or even send word."

"It's fine, Katniss, it was an emergency. I just get worried about you," I told her, and she took my hand in hers.

"You should worry more for your sanity, being married to me," she told me, and we shared a laugh.

"Are you really the only person here qualified to deal with babies?" asked Cailean, and she nodded.

"I've already taken on a couple of medics to train under me so that I'm not the only one qualified. Has there really not been a birth here yet besides Annie?" Katniss asked Carolina, and she nodded.