Chapter 26: Mew

We have nothing to eat. All we have now are power bars and some frozen side dishes.

"Mew what are you doing standing there?" Gulf shouted at the porch of the cabin.

I am at the foot of the dock walking back and forth trying to find a way to get to the canoe. It's almost 6pm and it's quite cold, that means the water will be doubly cold. It's also too late to go to the central village at this time. The festival is over so the shops close early.

"Mew, let's go inside, it's getting cold," Gulf said, this time he's in the dock too. He brought me my sweater.

"We have nothing to eat Gulf. We need the canoe and the fishing equipments left there." I told him.

"Ohhh, ummmm.... can we do it tomorrow? We still have some power bars left. Tomorrow morning, we can swim to get the canoe. It's warmer then." He said making light of the situation.

I smiled, "Okay, but are you okay with what we have?" 

"Of course Mew, those are enough for tonight. Besides, we can go to the village tomorrow instead of risking our life to get the canoe," he said. Gulf is always optimistic. On second thought, if he hadn't swam..... nevermind.

"Hmmm, great idea. We can buy some steaks too. I'm craving steaks." I put my arms in his shoulder as we went back to the cabin.

In my periphery, I felt a movement behind some of the trees. I stole a glance, nothing's there.  I feel uneasy. Since late this afternoon, I felt like someone is watching. I tried to brush it off since no one knows where we are but when I got to the dock, that unease just grew.

"Baby can you go back to the cabin. I'll just get something from the car." I said. I need to check the cabin's surroundings first.

"Okay Mew, I'll prepare the power bars for dinner." Gulf went ahead.

I walked to the car and got the flashlight. Then I went to survey the vicinity. I went to the weeds where Gulf picked the flowers. I also went to the small hill at the back of the cabin. I walked around 30 meters away from the cabin in the tall trees where I thought I saw someone lurking around, there's no one there. Just as I was going farther, I hear Gulf shriek. I ran back to the cabin and almost tripped two times.

"Gulf!!!" I shouted once I opened the door.

Gulf is on top of the bamboo couch, red and quivering. "There's a big spider on the stairs."

"Are you fucking kidding me!!!" I said almost losing my mind.

"It looks scary Mew," Gulf said.

My heart beat is just starting to recover. I heaved so deep. Breathe in breathe out. I went out and sat on the porch. My hand in my heart, willing it to calm down.

Gulf went out too. "Mew, I'm arachnophobic." He said hugging me and sitting on my lap.

"Just give me a minute baby. You gave me quite a scare." I said, carressing his back.

"It's just a spider Mew," Gulf has the audacity.

"Exactly baby, so why did you have to fucking scream like that?" I said trying to be okay with this. This is better than the thoughts that ran through my head while I was running back to the cabin.

"I don't know. They might be poisonous you know." Gulf said, justifying his fear.

"I guess we'll be sleeping in the porch tonight," I said.

Gulf looked at me, "Why? Can't you just catch it?"

"I'm also afraid of spiders baby. We either sleep here tonight or we wait until it's not in the stairs anymore," I said weighing our options.

He reddened more, "But if it's not in the stairs, it can go anywhere we don't know, like in the bed or at the bottom of the table, or chair. That is scarier. We have to catch it Mew."

I closed my eyes, "you mean I have to catch it right?"

"But I am arachnophobic," he said again as if his scream is not enough to scare the bejesus out of me.

----------------------------------

2 freaking hours! That's how long it took me to finally sweep the spider away inside the cabin so it can explore the outdoors. All this time, the only help I got from Gulf is his ability to warn me through shouting time and time again.

I am quite depleted, catching a spider is more exhausting than having sex. 

"Mew?" Gulf said softly across the table. We just finished eating the power bars.

I looked at him, "Yes baby?"

"Are you okay?" he asked. I may have looked very serious.

"Of course I am," I tried to smile. 

He smiled back, "Okay."

I think this is the best time to discuss about our plans. "Listen Gulf."

"Yes Mew?" He said waiting eagerly.

"Tonight is our second to the last night. We need to discuss about our plans of escape." I said. Everything has to be smooth.

"I agree, let's review," he said nodding his head. "Okay so, we are not going back to Billings"

"Yes, we go to Idaho. That's an 8 hour drive. Then I rented a private jet to bring us to California. We have to be fast in California Gulf, security there is quite tight." I said.

"Got it Mew! We need to be there early as well, since we still have to buy a plane ticket. I remember." Gulf said.

"Right. I can't fake our names. That means once I buy the ticket, we have to be fast since your father might be able to trace you after we purchase the ticket." I said making sure he understands.

"Your father too Mew, don't forget he can track you as well." He said, reminding me what I am leaving behind. 

"Yes... we have to be careful." I said.

"Mew, you don't need to do this." I looked at Gulf. "I mean, you are risking too much. I am not really worth it."

His words pisses me off, "Don't say things like that Gulf." I captured his hand in mine. "You are my everything."