Review 43: Corpse Party (A Fanservice Horror)

Review 43: Corpse Party (A Fan service Horror)

Whist it may only be four episodes long; this anime has blood, gore and fan service written all over it... But is the fan service seriously needed?

Corpse Party is more famously known for the long winded RPG game; but it originated from the popular but short Japanese anime and manga. There is a second season of the Famous mystery/horror themed anime, however it hasn't been transferred into an anime; only a manga and another game have been made from the second series. 

The series itself is horror based but also has a few aspects of comedy in-between the girls, fre an service from the girls and plenty of screaming from the girls. Yeah, the girls get annoying after a while... But then again the boys in the anime are practically useless one goes insane one is scared of everything and one acts tough but isn't. So nearly everyone in the anime is portrayed as useless in the situation they're put in. 

The anime starts off with one of our characters called Naomi waking up in Heavenly Host Elementary; She recalls what had happened before they got there and why it happened, then soon after the action, the gore and confusion kicks in. There was a festival at Naomi's school, her and eight other people stayed behind too clean up and say good bye to their friend who was transferring to another school. The extremely creepy class Representative tells everyone about the cursed school which stood before their own. That school is Heavenly Host Elementary...

On a rainy night, much like the one the story is told; a Teacher kidnapped four children from the same school as his. he took them into the basement, locked them away and slowly killed them. He removed eyes tongues and half of one the girls heads. Shortly after the school was knocked down, and another school was built in it's place. After the children in our story perform the Sachiko Doll Charm they are taken to Heavenly Hosts closed spaces; meaning that the 9 people who were taken there cannot find each other even though they are in the same school. (Satoshi's little sister comes in before they are taken to Heavenly host). The four children who had been murdered in the school take out their revenge on anyone who performs the charm and ends up inside of the closed spaces. Children go insane, they kill each other, nearly everyone who enters the school dies...

The anime mainly revolve around our nine characters getting out of the school alive; Satoshi, Ayumi, Yoshiki, Naomi, Yuka, Seiko, Sakutaro, Mayu and Ms. Yui are all fighting to survive against the vengeful spirits and those who are also lost inside of the closed spaces. But since they cannot see each other it's nearly impossible to find their way out of the Heavenly Host. 

The anime itself is very gory; there seems to be blood around every single corner. There's always a twisted way that one of the characters dies in which also involves their intestines spilling out on the floor. If you've watched the anime Elfen Lied or Blood-C then you should know a fair bit about blood and gore; this anime isn't as bad as those two but it still contains a fair bit. With piecing together the mystery behind the school; you may be able to piece it all together very quickly, but if you've played the first Corpse party game then you'll be angry with the anime... yeah they miss out quite a bit by the looks of it. 

Since it's only four episodes long, it makes the story line development seem rushed and compressed. If i was going to produce this anime myself then i would of at least extended the first season to over ten episodes; it's such a good concept that it shouldn't of only been put into a few episodes. Also; why is it that nearly all horror themed animes have a large amount of fan service? if you've read some of my past reviews then you should know that i'm against fan service; most of the time it just isn't needed, it's mostly used to draw in a larger audience... But if you're a horror lover like me, then fan service isn't needed; it's not like seeing a girls large breasts or panties makes us more scared or drawn into the story line. 

All in all; i do love the story line and the twists that occur all the way through the anime. The only thing that lets this anime down for me has to be the fan service which comes across as out of place and the amount of episodes there are. I do love the story line but it seems that the anime cuts out important pieces or pieces which then lead up to the important parts. In some cases a big chunk is missed as the characters end up in a new place. even though i love the story line and the characters, there needs to be more episodes... I'm a little disappointed.

Since the anime is short, i've missed out some key information and events so it's not as obvious as to what happens at the end. I wouldn't want to ruin the anime for you guys.

Here's something new! If you know who escapes the Closed spaces at the end of the anime, or if you can guess who escapes... I will write a review of an anime of your choosing and then dedicate the chapter to you. Just comment down below who you think will escape and the first person to get it right can pick an anime, message me and i'll review it. Simple as that! (The main reason for this, is that people keep on suggesting the same animes over and over; so i thought i'd try a new way of getting a suggestion). 

Thursday, 1st, January, 2015.   3:39 PM    ~Amy 

~Thanks for reading