Review 2: Shiki (Possibly My Favorite Anime Of All Time)!

as the anime is only short i don't want to ruin the story line or any main information that you should find out for yourself... But this is awesome, i originally wrote this review just under three years ago and i've been wanting to re-do it for so long now that it's been bugging me sooooo sooo much!
So this is the slightly longer re-write on Shiki, Possibly my favourite anime of all time! 

I am however extremely picky when it comes to anything supernaturally mainstream like this; but it did make me wonder... I'm actually feeling sad on behalf of these characters right now?....

So i am rather picky when it comes to anything to do with mainstream supernatural beings, so in this case it's Vampires. Now i was really reluctant to watching this because one of my friends who had recommended the anime was only highlighting the fact that the girls have rather large breasts... And if you know me then you know that i absolutely hate Fanservice of any kind! 
But i managed to see past that when it came to this anime, even though one of the main characters breasts like to giggle a lot when she walks; i managed to get over that and actually watch it without being grossed out... 

So the anime begins with all of the men in the village looking for a girl called Megumi, She had gone missing over night and no one knows what had happened to her... Until we get the flashback of all events.
So this anime revolves around Megumi and Natsuno, both of them end up suffering the same terrible fate, but both of them of them have extremely different plans on what to do. The both start out the same though, they both hate the place that they live and they both want to leave... But you wouldn't expect their departure to be so dramatic... 

The only bad thing when it comes to small animes is that if you give away more characters then people already know what's going to happen and then they blame you for spoilers; so for now i'm only giving away two of the characters and then i'll give a brief explanation as to what happens in the anime. 

Megumi: Megumi is a lovely young girl who is the heart of the village she lives in, shes full on and has a crush on a boy who moved in a year ago called Natsuno. She always has a dream of leaving the "run down" village and moving it to the big city! where she can have the freedom to be who she wants to be and will have the life she has always dreamed of. She hates the village and most of the people there and only has 1 well known Friend that is used many times in the story. Every time she sees Natsuno she'll try and get close to him in whatever way she can.

Natsuno: Natsuno is Megumi's crush, but the problem is he absolutely hates the village more then she does and hates Megumi herself in every way, and every time Megumi attempts to get close to him he throws it right back in her face which then adds to the drama of the whole story. Natsuno has no friends in the village until later on in the story.

After a strange family move into an abandoned mansion away from the majority of the village, shit goes down. 
Rumours spread around the town like wild fire, as everyone automatically suspects that something is wrong with the family that had moved there; which, of course, is where shit starts to go down. 

Megumi happens to be upset and in a bad mood the same day as she wonders up to the mansion; as she's walking around she imagines the adopting her and loving her more then the other people in the village. The gates open up to her and she walks in without thinking twice; then it goes back to her, in a ditch, in the middle of the forest, alone and un-loved. 
She becomes their first victim and comes back to life later on in the anime. Along with lots of other people in the anime, she then has to turn other people into Vampires; in order to turn them, they have to sneak in to their house and bite them three times. They all have to go through the same process of being buried and then dug up by other vampires. 

Now there is one little girl in this anime that made me fall in love with it as soon as I saw her. She has long purple hair and her eyes are lifeless, she wears long Victorian dresses and only appears at night in front of the Priest. 
The reason i love her has to be her backstory, (I'm not going to say her name). When she was human her parents loved her and where quite wealthy. Until one day, one of her fathers associates bite her and turned her. She woke up in a coffin, un-able to breath or get out she scratched the top of the coffin until someone came by and dug her up. From then on she's wanted to turn other people into Vampires so they could be her friends and her family. 
(That's if i've remembered all of that correctly; it has been seriously long since i watched it).

Obviously, i loved the element of dying then being dug up again and having the situation explained to you; I think it gives us a better insight as to how the creator thinks this situation would play out. Also when we see the characters being dug up and being turned, in most cases they end up looking completely different and i think that the new designs for such innocent characters works extremely well. 
Some scenes can be quite gory and a little bit cringe since their skin is burning off and their screaming ridiculously loudly. I actually loved the gory scenes and the death scenes, but i know that there will be people who don't; so that was just a little warning. 

i seriously loved this anime, out of all of the ones i've watched this has to be the on that i'm always thinking about re-watching or cosplaying. i'm already in loads of cosplay groups but i've never actually cosplayed... If i ever cosplay then i would defiantly be Megumi. 
I seriously loved this anime though, it has to be one of the best by far. I wish it was longer but then again it could of been easily ruined if it was longer. I would recommend this to anyone who loves the supernatural side of animes and for anyone that's into a bit of blood and messy stuff. 

29th June 2012 10:13 pm ~Amy xxx