No Regrets - Something we should have done ages ago

Slowly one by one the rest of the dwarves existed out from the mountain as Artemis turned to see them and counted only to frown and freeze when Bilbo wasn't in sight. She watched wide eyed as the other dwarves grew comfortable on the rock near the open door as she let her eyes wander over the group once more and knew for sure that Bilbo wasn't with them.

Artemis's eyes snapped over towards Balin and Thorin who just came out from the mountain as the dark gleam in Thorin's eye seemed to grow as he stood with his arms folded over his chest with a proud yet dangerous smirk on his face.

"Where is Bilbo!" Artemis whispered gaining everyone's attention, though her eyes remained on Thorin as she slowly began to take little steps towards him and the entrance to the mountain.

"Doing his job" Thorin snarled as Artemis felt dread rush through her and all fear of entering the mountain empty as she knew the danger that Bilbo was now in.

"Are you insane! We have to get him out of there!" She cried out horrified as Artemis goes to enter only to have Thorin grab her by her forearm and throw her backwards. She landed with a loud thud on her back as suddenly Thorin held his sword in his hand, the tip of the blade under her chin. Even though the blade wouldn't damage her the shock was enough to make her freeze as she hardly recognised the gleam in Thorin's eyes. The comfort and warmth seemed to be seeping out.

"We wait!" Thorin snarled before storming to stand by the ledge and look out at the view as everyone was taken by surprise and shocked. Dwalin was the first to move as he gently bent down placing an arm around her waist and assisting her back to her feet. He nodded to her as she gave a weak smile however she continued to stare into Thorin's back with sadness as though her heart wanted to break.

They did as they were told. They waited. The company remained outside on the ledge as Artemis didn't like the whole concept of waiting, she constantly played with her sword and it didn't go unnoticed. She should be in there fighting against her father and she knew it. So why did she just stand by and watch as they sent Bilbo inside to find the Arkenstone. Sighing deeply it must have been an hour or two when suddenly the entire Mountain shook followed by a dangerous rumble.

"Was that an earthquake?" Oin as the mountain shook.

"That, my lad, was a dragon." Balin spoke grimly as Artemis jumped to her feet sheathing her sword concerned for Bilbo. Dwalin watched the small exchange between Balin and Artemis whilst Thorin on the other hand almost looks fearful as he realises what this means, the Dragon was awake, but he didn't even have a glimpse of concern for Bilbo. Artemis changed to her dragon senses as outside the mountain she could hear Smaug moving around and what made them extremely nervous was seeing a fiery light in the entrance way.

"I was stupid it let him go in alone! I'm getting Bilbo out of there!" Artemis finally stated as she got up from her seat to stalk towards the entrance of the mountain.

"Give him more time." Thorin demanded as she skidded to a halt on her heels and turned to look at him shocked.

"Time to do what? To be killed?" She quizzed horrified that he would even suggest leaving Bilbo still in the mountain to face the wrath of her father, DEFENSELESS!

"You're afraid." Thorin asked her slowly taking a few steps closer as she glared.

"Yes, I'm afraid. I fear for you. A sickness lies upon that treasure horde. A sickness which drove your grandfather mad." She stated as he rolled his eyes to turn away making her angrier. She could see that the rest of the company was growing shocked with Thorin's new attitude towards Bilbo and in general to everything.

"I am not my grandfather." He growled.

"You're not yourself either. The Thorin I know would not hesitate to go in there." Artemis whispered hoping that calming down would reason with Thorin though it did no good as he refused to even look at her.

"Then you don't know me! I will not risk this quest for the life of one burglar." Thorin spat down at her.

"The Thorin I know, rescued me from Witches! From drowning! Even from myself! He would not allow one burglar, whose name is Bilbo, die because of his own greed!" Artemis growled back as Thorin turns to glare at her as the rest of the company draw silent. Not even Dwalin would say anything as he knew she was right.

"Why are you doing this Thorin? This isn't about reclaiming your homeland anymore and you know it. It might have been at the beginning, but it isn't now. You turned away your own kin! You would let an innocent DIE so you could have a worthless stone!" Her voice started off as a soft whisper, caressing his skin before it grew concerned and loud as he scowled at her with her thoughts on the stone.

"The Arkenstone is not worthless!" He yelled angry that Artemis was defying him and trying to take him away from his birthright.

"But is it worth dying for? Would trade the stone for Bilbo's life? For your entire companies? For mine?" She questioned. However Thorin's silence was a loud enough answer that she almost stumbled back as Thorin saw the betrayal she felt in her eyes as she refused to hide anything any longer. Like Wanda said, no regrets.

"I can't believe it. I will not let you get driven to madness like your family before you...or mine. I refuse to stand here and watch as you are driven with Greed that you would risk a friend's life for piles of worthless gold. I won't watch you turn from nobility to treachery. I won't stand and watch you turn into my father!" She accused as she turns about to head back into the Mountain when Thorin grabs her pulling her back roughly.

"Never compare me to that serpent!" He hissed down in her ear as she glared back at him.

"Then don't act like one!"

The silence settled over the two as though they had forgotten about the other members of the company.

"I am going in there. I am getting Bilbo out. Then I will kill Smaug. And I will be PROUD that it will be the last thing I do!" Artemis sternly informed as Thorin dropped her arm in slight shock.

"You've known all this time that this quest would claim your life?" Dwalin muttered sadly.

"What?" Thorin whispered horrified.

"His destined death, By his decent, Forgiven in her final breath." Artemis whispers the line of the prophecy as the company gasp and murmur between themselves.

"And you tell me this now?" Thorin demands broken.

"Does it matter? At the start of the quest you would have jumped at the opportunity to get rid of me. So why are you not jumping now?" Artemis snarled as Thorin couldn't bring himself to open his mouth and admit that his heart was aching at the thought of losing her.

"I will kill him and die in the process and it's a sacrifice I shall happily make. I only hope that the King I love will be sitting on the throne in the end and not a dwarf who cannot see beyond his own desire." Artemis softly spoke before she left Thorin's side and goes towards the entrance only to pause when Thorin growls.

"I forbid you from entering" He tried to order as Artemis only hissed and rolled her eyes.

"For Durin's sake!" She huffed as she turned and stalks back and everyone watches as she suddenly grabs hold of him and kisses him taking them all by surprise. Their lips melted together perfectly as Thorin was too shocked to react as his body and lips ached for more when she broke the contact, their eyes betraying their final emotions.

"That is something we should have done ages ago." She whispered to him with a warm smile. No regrets. She would never regret that in her life before she suddenly she pulls back and punches him right out.

"And that it is to hopefully knock some sense into you. Anyone else want to stop me?" She offered as no one dared to move forward. They all remained staring at her in shock as a slight blush crept on her cheeks.

"Take care of him Balin" She spoke as a final goodbye before they watched as Artemis stalks into the mountain to fight Smaug............