The Fight for Erebor

The company had managed to make it to the higher halls into a final chamber of the wester guard room which was blocked off by caved in stone. As they enter the room they stop when they notice the decaying corpses of their kin. Thorin felt his heart shatter at his people who had suffered clawing for breath in hope of escaping the dragon.

"Some of us might. Lead him to the forges. We kill the dragon. If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together." He informed as his heart both shattered and leapt at the sight of Artemis in the doorway. His breathing hitched as he saw a cut at the top of her forehead causing a small trail of blood to run down the side of the face. She was bruised and he had no idea how extent the damage was beneath her clothing.

She was barely able to hold herself up on her feet as she raised her hand to allow her final magic flow through her creating a mirror of fire into the doorway trapping them as they all cry out and Thorin runs forward.

"Artemis! Don't do this!" He begged as she shook her head. He lifted his hand to the mirror expecting it to burn him only to feel a comforting warmth seep into his palm as a stray cheek slowly began to trail down his cheek.

"You will be safe here. It will break when it's done." She slowly spoke as each word seeping out from her chest brought a small pinch on pain in her chest.

"You cannot die!" He cried out slamming his fist against the fire glass as it shook, neither was aware of it cracking slightly from the sudden pressure as she gave a sad smile and place her palm against his.

"I can and I will. You may hate me now but in the future you will thank me." She whispered before her hand slowly left the glass as he itched and scratched at it, in search for her as she slowly turned to leave as he felt like his source of air was taken from him.

"No! Artemis? ARTEMIS!" He continued to cry out as she let his voice vanish from thought as she trusted her nose to search for her father's scent. She found him in the west corridor as he was hovering in the higher halls trying to find the dwarves.

"Smaug!" Her call threatening as his head turned sharply towards her as he snarled and narrowed his eyes. Her voice may have held power but her body showed her weakened state as he slowly slithered down towards his pray as neither blinked.

"Ah my disgraceful kin come to meet your death." He offered as he knew it was a kindness to what she may be currently suffering. He was impressed at how her body was struggling to mend itself from the severe injuries with the additional stress she was already placing upon her.

"You don't scare me." She growled as she felt her inner dragon desperately clawing at a barrier for it to be released so it could fight against him. She needed moonlight but the halls of the dwarves kingdom prevented her from finding the beams of moonlight.

"No? But I do scare them!" He cheered at the advantage as they both turn their heads towards the dwarves as they were running in groups of three in separate directions. Artemis constantly swore and cursed Durin's name as she struggled to keep Smaug's attention on her and preventing them from being killed. He found her efforts useless as he easily flung her aside causing her to skid against the stone as he began pounding in the chase after one of the many groups, before changing.

Glancing to her left she noticed Dwalin with Nori and Bofur sneaking across one of the bridges unaware of Smaug catching sight of them and chasing after them. Bracing herself to her feet and running in their direction they skidded to a stop in both surprise and cheer to see her alive. Though the fear in her eyes and desperation made Dwalin turn to see Smaug about to blow out fire as she pounced in front and deflected the flames.

"MOVE!" She cried shoving them down a small corridor in which her father couldn't follow. Panting she peered out to see his attention had been caught by another. Her heart broke as her face paled to see him chasing after Thorin.