Desperation for a healing miracle

The fog begins to clear as they can see a little port before heading to LakeTown. Bard gets off and starts talking to several people, slipping a few coins in their hands. The dwarves are all in the barrels as Bilbo watches from a hole in his bucket.

"What's he doing?" Dwalin snapped.

"He's talking to someone.....he's pointing at us! Now they're shaking hands" Bilbo reported as Thorin snarled.

"What!" Thorin declared through gritted teeth.

"He's selling us out" Dwalin hissed as the dwarves all pause and draw silent when they hear creaks and crane noises before their barrels are filled to the brim with fish. As the fish pile into their barrels they all gag to the smell, holding their breaths at the discomfort of being covered in slime. Bard keeps going heading towards LakeTown as the dwarves groan and complains about the smell.

"Quiet we're approaching the toll gate" Bard warns as he kicks a few barrels causing the dwarves to hush. Bilbo was still able to see through the small hole in the wood of his barrel as it drew over towards Artemis. Bard had obviously placed some boxes around her to shield her from view and placed a thicker blanket to assist her cold. Bilbo could swear he could hear her shiver and teeth chatter against each other as he felt the boat come to a stop.

"Halt! Goods inspection, papers please....oh it's you Bard." Percy called out before smiling to the familiar face of Bard.

"Morning Percy"

"Anything to declare?" Percy asks as Bard shakes his head and ensures his position hides Artemis' boots which had come into view when she had shaken to get more comfortable, resulting in her legs stretching.

"Nothing, but I am cold and tired and ready for home" Bard tiredly spoke with relief as he hands over his papers to Percy.

"You and me both. There we are all in order "Percy states as he takes the papers and stamps them before handing them back to Bard.

"Not so fast...." Alfrid snarls mischievously as he sprung out from the shadows and snatched the papers from Percy. Bard lifted his chin up slightly to show no fear when in reality he feared for Artemis more than the dwarves who were hiding in his barrels. Alfrid examined the papers before smirking knowing he had caught Bard this time.

"Assigned empty barrels from the Woodland Realm. Only they're not empty are they Bard if I recall correctly your licence is a bargeman not a fisherman" He snaps as he throws his papers away and takes a fish from Bilbo's barrel holding it up. Bard noticed from the corner of his eye that you were able to see Bilbo's eye which widened as he merely smirked at Alfrid.  

"That's none of your business" Bard states as Alfrid growls.

"Wrong. It's the Master's business, which makes it my business"

"Oh come on Alfrid, have a heart people need to eat."

"These fish! Are illegal! empty the barrels over the side!" Alfird ordered as he tossed the fish over the side of the boat into the water. The two guards that had accompanied Alfird nodded and start to 'try' and move the barrel over to the edge of the boat to empty them. Bard looks nervous slightly as he angles himself slightly in front of Artemis and gently nudges her boots with the back of his as she curls them up subconsciously into her snug blanket.

"Alfrid people in this town are struggling. Time are hard. Food is scarce" Bard tries reasoning as he watches the soldiers, trying to get them to stop as they begin to lift one barrel. The dwarves kept their horror silent as they clung desperately to the sides of their barrels as a few were beginning to slip in the direction of the water.