Chapter 51: Nightwing as a nice ring to it

Catalina Kyle

The other league members went and talked to their proteges. I saw Martian Manhunter hugging Megan. Catwoman and Batman led us off the group. Dick had an arm around my waist supporting me. Once we were away from Superman and Conner's hearing, they turned and faced us. Dick released me and Catwoman embraced me. She pulled away and cupped my face in her hands. "Oh sweetie." I was crying. I was crying because I remembered her. A few hours before I didn't even remember who my mother was. I hugged her again. When I pulled away again, I turned to face Batman. He was studying me as well.

"How do you feel?" He asked. I limped over to him and surprised us both by hugging him. He hesitated for a long time before wrapping his arms around me as well. I pulled away, wiping tears from my eyes and stood next to Dick. Dick wrapped an arm around my waist again.

"Thank you for all of your help." I responded. I was surprised that my voice was as even as it was. My entire body was on fire and I genuinely think if Dick wasn't holding me up, I would be on the ground. Batman continued to study me.

"Well. You mean a lot to Catwoman and, clearly, to Robin as well. It was the least I could do." I nodded. Batman then turned his attention to Dick. "Where's the Music Maker?" Dick glanced at me.

"She's not a threat anymore." Batman's eyes narrowed.

"Show me." Catwoman moved towards me, taking my face in her hands again. I reached out and latched onto her shoulders. Dick let go of me and led Batman towards the pool of water. Catwoman stroked my face with the pad of her thumbs.

"What happened, Cati?" She whispered. Tears flooded my eyes again.

"I killed them, mom." Her eyes widened. "I killed them both."

"Oh, Cati." She pulled me into her arms and I let out a grunt of pain. She still held me close but not as tightly. "Are you hurt?" I didn't answer because I was watching Dick and Batman over her shoulder. Dick was saying something and it looked like he was getting pretty animated. Batman responded and Dick looked down at the ground. "Cati." Catwoman said softly.

"My ribs are broken." I whispered back.

🐈🐦🐈

"I hope you didn't get into too much trouble." Dick paused but then continued to walk over to me. I was sitting on the edge of the rooftop of my apartment building once again, several weeks later. I was on heavy medication for my ribs but I'd been told that they, and the scratches on my face were healing nicely.

"How did you know I was there?" Dick asked as he sat down next to me. I chuckled.

"Well for one, you weren't even trying to be quiet." He grinned and looked out over evening Gotham.

"I guess I wasn't, was I?" I shook my head then turned to look at him.

"No. Now you didn't answer my question. Did you get into trouble with Bruce?" Dick was quiet for a few minutes.

"I don't think I can be Robin anymore." I reached down and grabbed Dick's hand.

"What do you mean?" He took a deep breath.

"I still want to help out in the city. Hell, I still want to be in the Batfamily. But I don't think that I can do that if I'm still Bruce's sidekick. I don't know what that means for the family but... I just don't think I can do it anymore." We were both quiet for several minutes. I gently rubbed the back of his hand with my thumb and turned my gaze back out over the city.

"Have you told Bruce this?" He shook his head then sighed and shrugged.

"No. Well, not directly. I think he knows now though." I shot him a sideways glance.

"Do you think he has a plan for this?" He snorted.

"It's Bruce." I nodded.

"Enough said." I turned and pulled his face down to mine. I pressed a warm kiss to his lips then pulled away and held his face. "I don't care what you do. If you think stepping away from Bruce is the best idea, then I will stand by you. If you think that you need to step away from hero work, I'll stand with you. I will be with you up till you think you need to do some mass murder and join the Red Hood on the run." He smiled and kissed me again.

"So mass murder is where you draw the line?" I grinned.

"Maybe a little before that." He sighed and leaned his forehead against mine for a second then turned back out to the city.

"I've been Robin for so long. I don't know what I'd even do or what name I would even go by anymore." We sat in silence as the sun continued to sink over the Gotham skyline. I laced my fingers through Dick's and turned to face him.

"Nightwing has a nice ring to it." 

//I'm so sorry that this took so long to get out! My winter break was absolutely crazy with COVID and other things that were an aftermath of COVID. But this is indeed the last chapter of Black Cub. It feels very weird to be saying goodbye to Cat and this story in particular since it's been in my head for about six-ish years now. While I'm not saying goodbye to hentirelyily, she does show up in the 'spin-off' sequel, she won't truly return until the third book. I hope you guys enjoyed reading her and enjoyed this story in general. I've loved writing this and I can't wait to come back with more but for now, I will be focusing on my Marvel stories for a second. Thank you so much for reading!

Much love,

Elle//