chapter 8 / rewind

Y/N's POV

"Do you think you have the energy to do this, Lou?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"You're the best."

"Mh"

Please let this work
Lou sat on Ace's cold chest placing her hands on his skin. Now all I could do was leave Ace to Lou and hope that it would work.
I watched with a worried look as the fairy closed her eyes, wrinkles of concentration appearing on her forehead. Then she began to glow.

"Rewind" Lou's clear voice echoed through the room sending shivers down my spine. The pure power that was stuffed into this little person was terrifying.
When Lou used her awakened time powers she seemed to transform into something otherworldly. It was like she turned into time itself, an unbeatable deity that wielded the power of both past and future, two unlimited pools of energy. Time is the only thing truly immortal.

I hope her body can take it.
I bit my lip in frustration. My mesmeration by Lou's awakened devil fruit powers didn't last long. I had lived with Lou for long enough to be more or less used to them and to know what state the usage of these powers left her in.

Slowly the glow of Lou's body crept into Ace's chest and spread throughout his entire figure.
Then the wound in his stomach began to disappear.

Lou was turning back time on Ace's body. Resetting it to the state he had been in before Akainu killed him. She had to rewind time of the length of a least five minutes.
I hope this doesn't kill her.
Worried I looked at my dearest friend. If I were to loose her, I didn't know what I would do.
Then it was done. The wound had completely closed and Ace's skin and tattoo just began to return to normal when Lou suddenly stopped with a confused huff.

"What's wrong?" I asked Lou with a worry saturated voice.

"It's not working."

"What?"

"I have long reset his body to a state where he was alive, but his clock is not resetting."

She was right. At the time Ace's body was set back to he had been alive, but here he lay before us remaining cold and lifeless.
"But how?"
I began to panic. No this can't be happening. Why? Eddie- This was Eddie's last wish. I promised him I would save his son. He won't ever be able to rest in peace. I have to save Ace. I have to-.

"There is only one explanation. He never had more time."

"What?" That would make sense. No- this can't be happening.
Can't you give him more time?"

"I can't give him time that never existed. I would need to steal it from someone else. That would shorten an innocent persons lifespan. I can't do that, Y/N."

"Then take some of mine."

"What?"

"Give Portgas some of my time."

"No way. You are my friend. This will shorten your lifespan. Y/N, get it together! You don't even know this man."

"I know more than enough to know that those years won't be wasted. And I'll gladly spare some of my life to fulfill my friends dying wish. Eddie saved me back then. Now it's my time to repay him."

"But-" tears build up in Lou's eyes, standing in such contrast to her intimidating awakened form that I would have laughed if we were in other circumstances. I gave her a comforting smile.
"Lou I'm not asking you to kill me. I'm an elf. Even if you take an entire human lifespan from me I will live for at least another 700 years. I'm still young you know." I grinned at her and finally she smiled back.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."