𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚

* seven years ago * ~> Jai POV

"How is that even possible? He told me he'd never leav" I cried into my mom's arms as I had just found out that my dad was shot and killed. "I know baby but things happen, he's in a better place and he'll always be in your heart and watching you" My mom told me and all I could do was cry. I was angry. He told me he'd never leave me and he did.

"NO! HE TOLD ME HE'D NEVER LEAVE ME. SO WHY DID HE. HE LIED TO ME!" I yelled and ran to my room. I was deeply hurt and filled with anger. How could he lie to me like that. HE LIED.

"Just give her some time." I heard my grandma say outside of my room door and eventually I heard footsteps going away from the door.

I cried into my pillow and never came out of my room for the rest of the day. My dad is gone.

* few weeks later *
"Just play the game how you know how to play it. No one can stop you" My mom said before I ran to the other side to go be with my team.

Basketball is a passion of mines. It's something me and my dad always did together and I promised him i'd play in college and go to the WNBA. I was only 10 years old and I was the best on my team. No one could stop me when I got on the court.

"When you get old enough to fully learn big words, I want you to look up what Jubilation mean, I hope you experience that feeling for the rest of your life." That constantly played in my head, the words my dad told me, which always motivated me to play harder.

After the game, of course we won, we went out to eat to celebrate out last game of the season and after that I went home.

I went on my laptop and tried my best to spell Jubilation. It eventually corrected me and I clicked on the right spelling and saw that the word meant a feeling of great happiness and triumph. I smiled.

I looked up to my ceiling and said Thank you dad, I
hope I experience Jubilation as well.

*couple months later*
"Mom who's that?" I asked as I saw a few moving trucks and people carrying boxes into the house next door that's been empty for weeks.

"Our new neighbors Jai" she said preparing a Welcome cake.

"I don't want new neighbors" I said sadly remembering my bestfriend since diapers had moved hours and hours away from me.

"I know you're sad that Alauna left but there's always room to make more friends" my mom smiled and I shrugged.

I looked out the window and saw her dribbling a basketball and she was actually pretty good.

I went outside to meet her. "Hey." I said approaching her. "Oh hey" she smiled and stopped dribbling the basketball.

"I'm glad i'm not the only kid in the neighborhood like last time" she laughed and I laughed. "So what position do you play in basketball?" I asked. "Point, you play?" "Yeah, i'm shooting guard. You should come to tryouts inna few weeks" I offered. "Yeah, I might." She said and I nodded.

"Well, i'm Jaida but call me Jai" I said reaching my hand out. "I'm Jalaia but call me Lai" she said and shook my hand.

"Well i'm gonna go in for dinner, but welcome to the neighborhood" I smiled and she smiled and waved. "Byee, thanks."

I went inside the house and closed and locked the door.

"So, how was she?" my mom asked. "She's nice and she can play ball, not better than me but she can still play" I said and my mom laughed and rolled her eyes. "Not everything's a competition. Now go get washed up for dinner you smell like the outside" she said and I furrowed my eyes together. What does the outside even smell like.

I went upstairs and washed up for dinner and went back downstairs to eat dinner.

* a few weeks later me and Lai became bestfriends and that's when everything started to happen. *