Prologue

Virgil's POV (Age 7)

I wake up to complete darkness. Why was everything so dark? My eyes slowly adjust, allowing me to make out the silhouettes of about a dozen people crowded around me. I can't see much else since the only light is coming in through a couple gaps in the wooden slats that make up the wall. Judging by the uncomfortable level of humidity, and the way the world seems to be rocking, I'm guessing I'm on a boat. The revelation doesn't calm me down at all, if anything it only makes me aware of how little room there is in here. Almost every inch of ground is covered by some body part, and I can only hope that the owners of them are still alive. Of course, the idea that I might be surrounded by dead bodies only makes me panic more. My breaths come in short, halting gasps as I grab at the walls, hoping to find some way out. My panicking brain doesn't seem to process that the only thing outside is water, so even if I found a way out that wouldn't be much help.

A kid somewhere nearby sets a hand on my shoulder, "Hey, hey it's alright, just breathe," He tells me, somehow managing to stay calm in these cramped conditions. I shake my head rapidly, struggling to even understand him as my heartbeat drowns out my own thoughts, "Try to match my breathing, okay? It's okay if you don't get it at first," He tells me, gently rubbing my shoulder. I attempt to follow his instructions, my breath hitching several times before I can get close to matching his slow breathing, "There you go...I'm Roman."

I feel around slightly for his hand shaking it lightly even if it's unnecessary, "Virgil," I mumble, my throat feeling dry and raw. At least I can now hear whispered conversation between the others, so I can hope they're alive.

"That's a nice name," Roman comments, continuing to keep an arm over my shoulders even though I don't actually remember when exactly he put it there, "Any idea where we're going?"

"If I did then I probably wouldn't be so scared, well I'd probably be more scared if I knew where we were going since I have no idea how I got here," I admit, talking quickly due to my anxiety.

"True, all I really remember are these weird guys walking up to me, asking if I wanted a place to stay," He says.

"We're on a boat, aren't we? That probably means we aren't in Corinth anymore," I mumble, oddly sad even though I wasn't exactly leaving anyone behind.

He hums in though, "Well, wherever we're going I don't wanna go alone, how about we be friends?" He suggests.

I smile slightly, probably feeling happier than the rest of the kids here besides Roman, "I'd like that."

Eventually, more footsteps and yelling are heard above us and a hatch opens, letting in some light. It's obviously nighttime, but even the light from the moon causes me to squint slightly. An older man walks down the steep steps, his hand on the handle of his sword.

"Alright new employees, you all will be smart to cooperate with us as we take you to your new home where you will be sheltered and clothed. Please follow me in an orderly fashion, we wouldn't want to lose some of our strong workers before they even get the chance to prove their worth," The guy smiles, his teeth practically glowing in the pale light, and I get the feeling reassuring others isn't his strong suit.

Roman stands up after a couple of other kids, and offers me a hand. I take it, standing up and heading towards the stairs. We both climb out, wary of the heavily armed men on the deck of the ship. They lead us through a worn path through a wooded area for a while, not explaining anything and getting angry whenever one of us would speak. Eventually, we come upon a small building with a large hatch beside it on the ground. A couple of the men go over and open the lead hatch, pushing it open.

A different man from before, possibly the leader, goes to the entrance and speaks, "Children, welcome to Hell." 

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this part, I'm really excited about this book in case it wasn't obvious XD Actual chapters will be longer (like 1000+ words) I'll try to upload every day, no guarantee though, I'm pretty lazy