21. The Wedding

Today is the big day. Things are already falling apart, our band has cancelled, my veil has somehow ended up filthy and our page boy has ended up sick. Luckily Terry and Rosa had volunteered to go to the dry cleaners and get it cleaned for me. Hitchcock and Skully were looking for a new band. Holt was going to use Cheddar as our ring bearer. Poor Jake has been trying to calm me down but everything was just so stressful, I really wanted everything to be perfect but it didn't look like it would be.

The venue owner comes over with a phone. "Someone wants to talk to you, Jake."
"Oh, maybe it's the band." He takes the phone and his face falls. "So... Not the band..."
I frown. "Who was it then?"
"Don't freak out but... There's a bomb in here."
"Don't freak out?! Are you serious?" I sigh. "Today was supposed to be perfect."
He takes my hands. "It'll be fine, there's probably no bomb. Who plants a bomb and then calls to tell you?"
"You think they just want to scare us?"
He nods. "Probably."
I look at Charles. "This wouldn't have happened if you hadn't have put the date and time in the newspaper!"
Charles looks hurt. "Don't say that it j will kill myself!"
Jake laughs a little then looks thoughtful. "Ooh maybe it's someone who I put in prison years ago and now they want revenge! We should look for them."
I nod. "Good idea, maybe there is no bomb and this can be saved."

We evacuate the building and call the bomb squad. They arrive quickly and immediately start their search. Jake and I trace the phone number and head to the apartment it came from. We knock on the door but don't get a response. Jake kicks down the door. There's nobody in the apartment but there's a window open. I run over and look down. "He's on the move. Dark hair, light green jacket!"

Jake and I run out of the building and run after the man. Luckily he was pretty slow so Jake easily catches up to him and handcuffs him. I get out my notepad and start taking down his details. His name looks familiar. "Why did you do it?"
He sighs. "I was ordered to."
I frown. "By who?"
"As if you don't know."
"I have my suspicions. Ella?"
He nods. "Yeah, I'm her brother. But then I felt guilty so I made the call."
"Is she just trying to make my life living hell?! Even from prison?" I sigh.
"Pretty much, she asked me to get revenge ages ago. I saw the advert in the newspaper and thought this was the perfect time."

We take him with us back to our wedding venue. I find the leader of their squad. "There's definitely a bomb in here. We found the man who planted it and he admitted there's definitely one here."
He nods. "We've searched everywhere but one of the vents that we can't get in, our robot broke, it'll take a few hours for another one to arrive so unfortunately you'll have to cancel the wedding."
I sigh. "Okay."

I go back to Jake who already looks irritated. "The cake arrived but I didn't want it to be left in the sun so I asked them to take it to the precinct."
I nod. "Well it doesn't matter, the wedding is off."
He frowns. "What?"
"The bomb squad's robot broke, they need a new one to see into the vent and apparently it'll take hours and then they'll need to evacuate the area and diffuse the bomb"
He sighs. "Let's just go to the precinct and tell everyone."

When we get to the precinct Holt looks surprised to see us. "Is everything okay?"
Jake explains everything to Holt while I send out texts to all of our wedding guests. Charles comes in. "What do you mean the wedding is off!"
I sigh. "Ella wanted revenge and she ordered her brother to do it. He saw the advert you put in the paper and thought it was the perfect opportunity. Then he felt guilty so he made the call and now here we are with no wedding."
"So you're saying... I ruined your wedding?!" I open my mouth to speak but he interrupts me. "Be very careful with what you say! Oh! I know! Give me half an hour and you'll have the perfect venue. Text your guests and see if they can get here." He rushes off without another word.

I text all the guests but most of them can't make it. It's mainly just our squad and mine and Jake's parents that can come now.

Rosa and Terry come back with my now clean veil. I get my dress, go into the bathroom and get changed. I take my hair out of the bun it's in and comb my fingers through it to smooth it out. My eye makeup was a bit smudged so I fix that too.

When I'm done, Jake tells me that Charles is finished and that our guests are all seated. He walks me outside and I gasp at how beautifully Charles has decorated outside the precinct.

At the far end Captain Holt stands behind his podium with three of out cop cars behind him with their red and blue flashing lights on. Fairy lights hang above us and there's a path made out of paper shreddings. Hitchcock and Skully return with a violin player as Jake walks over to the podium.

I walk down the makeshift aisle as the violin player starts. Jake and I grin when I get to the end as he takes hold of my hands. Holt says a few words about how it was nice to watch our relationship grow before calling cheddar to bring our rings down the aisle. I grin as I take the rings from cheddar and stroke him as praise.

Holt then continues. "I believe you've both prepared your own vows?"
Jake nods as he begins. "Y/N, today has been a crazy day. But I shouldn't be surprised, because we've had a lot of crazy days. There was our first date, our first kiss, the first time you told me you loved me, and the day you told me you would marry me. Also, yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that, because every single day that I get to be with someone as amazing as you is crazy to me. I love you. And I'm worried about dancing in front of our friends. The end."
I smile and wipe a tear away as I start mine. "We've been planning this wedding for the last month, and if you told me yesterday everything that would go wrong, I would have had a complete meltdown. But I'm here, and I've never been happier. Life is unpredictable. Not everything's in our control. But as long as you're with the right people, you can handle anything. And you, Jake Peralta, are the right person for me. I love you."

Jake and I both say "I do" and exchange rings. Holt finished up the ceremony. "By the power vested in me by the state of New York, I'd like to announce that your honeymoon vacation request status has officially been moved from pending to approved. You're married. You may kiss the bride." Jake and I smile as we share our first kiss as a married couple. Everyone then goes to Shaw's bar to celebrate, it was the perfect end to our wedding day.