15. EVERYONE IS PRETTY

15 : EVERYONE IS PRETTY

first person
VALERIE

Atlas sighs. "Just act like you like somebody already. But be aware that Bentley will try to find out who you like and attempt to ruin whatever you have with that person."

"And how will he do that?"

"It seems like you think Bentley isn't smart enough. He has multiple ways of getting things done and if you let your guard down once you'll be in trouble. Even if he likes you, it will never last — he moves fast." Atlas's words cause me to frown. Ben seems so innocent and kind, is it all really just one big act?

I glance at my reflection. "Does Ben go for looks?" my makeup was perfectly applied, not a flaw to be seen. It seems like I'm digging my own downfall because of my fear of being seen as ugly.

Atlas looks me up and down. "I doubt that. He likes your personality." his words hit my heart, even with all this makeup, it's not enough to please everyone. I guess if you're ugly, you'll always be seen as ugly.

I lean forward to press the button on the elevator but Atlas stops me. I just wanted to leave. It's a problem that Ben isn't who he seems to be, I just don't understand why he's obsessed with the idea of love. Love is overwhelming and time consuming.

"You're offended, what did I do wrong?" There it was. Atlas' flaw of not realising the power behind his words. He resembles a robot, he lacks empathy and lives his world as if he only existed. Perhaps that's why he's so successful. He doesn't live to live, all he does is live to survive and live to be by himself for eternity.

I shrug my shoulders. "I don't want to correct all your mistakes, it's a waste of time since you always end up making the same mistake. Open the door so I could go."

"Same mistake?"

He'll never understand. "You looked at me and implied I was ugly, don't you think that's heartless even for you?" As soon as those words leave my mouth, Atlas raises his eyebrows with surprise.

"That doesn't mean I think you're ugly. You're just not Bentley's type, all his past girlfriends were blonde." Atlas says, scanning his elevator pass.

My cheeks heat up with embarrassment. "I-I just thought—"

Atlas interjects. "Obsessing over the concept of beauty is wrong. You're not going to be everyone's ideal person, so don't feel bad if someone says you're not attractive to them." his words cause me to contemplate. Not everyone will find you attractive. But if Atlas saw me without makeup, he'll tell me I'm ugly.