49. And then there were 7

Start from the beginning

Hopper felt like shit, but now was not the time nor the place. Sooner or later, they'd both have to let it go and move on.

"And lose the attitude", Hopper finally mumbled before turning around to go back to Joyce.

Once Jamie heard his retreating footsteps, she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and kneeled down to finally give Sammy attention as the adrenaline rushed through her body.

Hopper gasped in shock as he entered through the double doors and jogged down the hallway to catch up with a frantic Joyce.

"I AM NOT READY TO HAVE THIS BABY YET!", she shouted as she grabbed a hold of the IV pole of a elderly patient walking by.

"Yes you are", an OB responded annoyingly as they continued to wheel her down the hall all while trying to loosen Joyce's grip.

"MY HUSBAND IS A POLICE OFFICER! AND HE WILL BE HEARING ABOUT THIS!"

"Honey, honey, honey! Joyce! Are you alright?!", Hopper asked out of breath as he butted his way in between the nurses and doctors.

"Are you the husband?!", another staff member asked over Joyce's shouting.

"Yes I am."

"Oh god, thank you", they replied in relief.

"No, I'm not alright, Hop. I said I didn't want to get married and I do want to get married. I want to be your wife before we have the babies and I want to move into a bigger house and I know I threw the ring and—-"

"Okay", Hopper said, interrupting.

"Okay? You said okay?", Joyce responded, finally able to catch her breath.

"I said okay", he confirmed. "Let's do it."

"He said okay. He said okay", she smiled as she looked at the nurse standing by her side.

"Congratulations", the nurse responded still in annoyance. "Ugh, what's that smell?"

"I was on my way to the toilet and she grabbed me", the older lady said which caused Joyce to finally release her grip from the IV pole.

Joyce apologized profusely to the lady and then to Hopper.

"Joyce", he whispered. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes", she replied and lifted her head to meet him halfway with a kiss.

"Okay, let's go", Hopper said to the nurses as he jokingly patted Joyce's belly.

"No no no wait wait wait please Hop", she interjected.

"What?"

"Get a minister. Right now please— oh here comes another one", Joyce winced as another contraction started.

"No, I think we need to go now."

"No I just want to hear the words of the minister right now before the baby comes."

"BEFORE THE BABY COMES?!", one nurse said. "The baby is coming right now."

"Listen, I am getting married or there is no baby. You got that?"

"This could be an aspect of a transition phase", the nurse interrupted.

"THIS IS NO GOD DAMNED ASPECT OF A GOD DAMNED TRANSITION PHASE!!!", Joyce screamed at the top of her lungs.

"Okay honey, relax, relax, everyone relax", Hopper whispered as he gently rubbed her cheeks in a desperate attempt to calm her down.

Hopper turned around and ran down the hall in search of anyone who looked official. He grabbed the nearest security guard and pulled him to the door of the delivery room next to Joyce's bed.