Chapter Three

I stretched to the sounds of birds chirping before opening my eyes. I gasped at my unfamiliar surroundings, before remembering where I was. "Oh, fuck," I mumbled, covering my face. I looked around for a clock, but I didn't see one. I grabbed my cell phone from the nightstand and groaned when I read it was only seven in the morning. I hadn't fallen asleep until after midnight.

My bare feet padded into the kitchen, and I set a coffee machine to brew as I peered into the refrigerator. I should've expected there wouldn't be anything in the refrigerator of an empty home, but I was still disappointed to see it. At least the previous dwellers had left me coffee. I snagged a mug from beside the pot, and bent over with my arms and head on the counter as I waited for it to finish sputtering.

I sat sideways in an arm chair with my legs up to enjoy a few sips of my coffee. I considered walking to Alpha Grady's office to see what he wanted me to do for the day, as would have been my custom if I hadn't been exiled from my own pack, but I worried he may not be in the office yet. Just before I'd fallen asleep, I added his number to my contacts. So, I pulled my phone from the end table and typed him a quick message to let me know when he was in his office so I could stop by.

I finished my cup of joe, so I headed to the kitchen to refill it. A knock sounded on the door, and I turned just in time to see Alpha Grady walking in. He pulled earbuds from his ears and stuffed them into his hoodie pocket, from which the sleeves had been cut off.

"Uh, hi?" I said, squinting at him in a probably disrespectful way.

He chuckled softly. "Sorry. I was out for a run when I got your message. I thought I'd just come over since you were up."

I looked down at my tank top and shorts pajamas. "I'm not used to having visitors. I'm so sorry. Let me just..." I pointed my thumb in the direction of the bedroom.

"Would you like to run with me?"

My heart pounded. A run? With another wolf? "Yeah," I said with a bright grin on my face. "I'd love to. I'll get dressed." I walked into the bedroom and pulled some clothes from the closet.

"Do you mind if I have a cup of coffee?" He called down the hallway.

"Go right ahead!" I was rushing to slip on the black leggings and purple sports bra Darlene had brought me, but I still made sure the strap of the bra covered my mark. Seeing that it did, I exited the bedroom, while pulling my hair into a ponytail.

Alpha Grady took a sip from the coffee mug I'd used, and when he lowered it from his face, his eyes slid over my body from top to bottom.

"I haven't been running with someone else in years. Do I look funny?"

He quickly shook his head and smiled at me. "No. You look great. Ready?"

I noticed the light beads of sweat on his muscular exposed arms. "Let's go."

He motioned for me to go through the door first, but after that he led the way. He kept me right at his side as he took us to the edge of the property, and I pushed myself to keep up with him. I didn't want him slowing down to accommodate for me, but I didn't think he would tell me if he was anyway.

We ran for awhile in the fresh sunlight, our footsteps muffled by wet leaves. Running next to another wolf awakened power reserves in my body I hadn't used since I'd been in school with other wolves my age. My lungs were starting to tell me to slow down, but I had no intention of listening. I was on a run with an alpha, and I wasn't about to appear weak in front of him.

Suddenly, Alpha Grady grabbed my hand and changed the direction, pulling me on a sharp right. We continued straight for about sixty feet before turning left again. He never let go of my hand. After another thousand feet, he slowed to a stop. "We're back where we started. Do you want to go around again?"

UnclaimedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara