Intermission: Diego Brando Relationship Headcanons

♡I know all of y'all are sick of my shitty slow burn story so I am here to deliver some nice, fluffy stuff on how it would be like to be married to our beloved Diego. When Diego truly loves someone, it is very noticeable by the way he treats you. When he loves you he respects you, which is honestly quite amazing when you look at how he despises everyone else. He's grown to be very protective of you, especially after what the two of you have gone through during the Steel Ball Run. He knows that his personality and being the mayor of New York tend to piss people off, which he couldn't care less about, but frankly he is more worried about you. He knows that many of the people he works with are despicable in his eyes, and would do anything to get back at him, even if it means hurting you. So whenever you're around he tries to keep an eye on you. You'll have to be like 'hey Diego I love you but I'm literally a stand user who has kicked ass in the Steel Ball Run and not afraid to do it again.' He'll try to cool off because the last thing he wants to do is anger you, but no matter what he'll still have his overprotective tendencies. Diego would never say it aloud, but you are literally his world, his love, his life, and if anything happened to you, he would lose his shit. (Especially if you were burned. Even worse, if someone caused you to get burned? I can't even think of the sheer anger he would experience.) 

♡Diego has taken you to visit his mother's grave at least once. I like to think that after the race, he moved her grave from the farm they used to work at to a formal cemetery. She deserved that much after all she went through, Diego thinks. Whenever you two visit her grave, he stands there quietly. What he thinks about, you can't say. The times he spent with her as a child? How he thinks he let her die? You always try to ease his silent suffering by wrapping your arm around his waist and pulling him closer to you. And he would always lean into your embrace, ever so slightly laying his head on your shoulder, cherishing your warmth. 

♡Speaking of his past, remember those two shitty men he wanted to get revenge on? He definitely did avenge his mother after the race. What he did to them, I won't tell, but let's just say afterwards, you were right there with him, giving him all the comfort he needed and deserved. 

♡Immediately after Diego had proposed to you, the media had a field day with it. The amount of reporters that swarmed the two of you were one thing (Diego had to keep shooting death glares at them to stay away from you), but the amount of newspaper stories that were flying around was incredible. Almost all of it was paparazzi trashing your relationship, even coming up with conspiracy theories. You had been a notable contestant in the Steel Ball Run, so apparently many thought you were with him for his money, and Diego was with you to boost his reputation. (After reading stuff like this, you got so mad you threw it across the room. Diego had to calm you down, but he thinks that the stuff the media comes up with is very amusing.) 

♡After a while, the newspapers began to change its tongue, and now it only praises you. Reporters take so many pictures of you that they always flood articles regarding you with them. You're not sure what you did, but apparently many like the bright smile and cheerful voice of the grumpy mayor's wife. Whenever Diego has to give speeches in front of a crowd, you're usually right there standing behind him. Sometimes people ask him dumb questions just to get on his nerves, and you have to subtly rub his back so he doesn't lose his cool. Diego actually appreciates this immensely. Sometimes, you are asked to say a few words as well, which makes the crowd erupt in cheers. Diego is extremely prideful about this because he knows what a good personality you have. 

♡Being Diego's wife means you have to accompany him whenever there's a political party or anything along those lines. Diego usually doesn't mind, in fact, he likes it because he feels more at ease in your presence. The only thing he hates is when the two of you get separated and scumbags come and flirt with you. Whenever someone is flirting with you, his dino instincts just kick in and he automatically knows. Don't ask me how, it just works. 

♡To your surprise, Diego really likes cuddling. He never asks for them, but whenever you two cuddle, you can feel how relaxed he is. You've noticed that whenever he wants cuddles he just casually brushes his cold hands over yours instead of downright asking for them. Diego, you ain't slick, but you don't want to hurt his ego so you'll say something like, "My, looks like you need some warming up my dear." Diego secretly loves when you call him pet names like dear, darling, and my love. It makes him all fuzzy inside. Keep in mind that these are all new emotions for Diego... being with you is probably the first time he felt genuine happiness before. And make sure to run your fingers through his hair too, he goes crazy for that. Maybe even make a few braids too. It's even more adorable when he's in dino mode (which you have to beg for and make puppy eyes, but Diego can never say no to you.) Also he loves your cooking, like he lives for it... imagine him coming home from a long day of dealing with idiots at the office and then he smells your godly cooking... he loves that... 

♡Whenever Diego goes to work, he carries a small pendant necklace in his pocket that has a rather goofy looking photo of you inside. The photo was of you winking and your hands were formed into peace signs and raised upwards. You had given him this gift on the night of your wedding. You were exhausted but had insisted on staying awake because you had something important to give him. Half asleep, you sloppily placed the pendant in his hand while mumbling, "For you... so when you're sad... you can look at this." Immediately after you fell asleep in his arms, and when he checked your other hand, there was an identical pendant but with a picture of the two of you together. He never thought he would be able to feel this lucky in life before. 

♡When you first met Diego during the race, he had said some rather mean things, which you totally now understand and forgive after learning about his past. (Diego does wholeheartedly regret saying some of the things he said to you back then, but he didn't know how sweet of a person you were back then.) Even now, he won't hesitate to call someone he dislikes out. However, as soon as he realizes his love for you, he would NEVER say anything harsh or rude to you, even as a joke. He knows how it feels to be put down and would never put that on you, someone who he cherishes above all. If he says something you think was out of line, he would definitely make it up to you in his own little subtle way. Making you cry or upset is one of his only fears. Surprisingly he is quite perceptive at determining your moods, you don't know if he can smell your sadness or happiness or whatever, but you're very grateful you have a cute husband who loves you so much.  

♡Diego is busier than he likes, which means that there's less time for him to take you on dates that are up to his standards. You have to keep reassuring that you're completely fine with this, and that you consider all of the cuddling you two do as 'dates.' You'll have to be gentle and honest so as to not hurt his ego. Diego does feel guilty for these kinds of things because he wants to make you as happy as you've made him. As long as you're laughing and smiling, he's happy. 

♡We have conclusive evidence that Diego Brando is the best dino husband. (Can these even be called relationship hcs?? I just hope you guys like them.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, I'm straight simping for Diego, keep scrolling.

Anyways!! This isn't a "story" chapter but I wanted to take a lil break and just write some fluffy stuff for dino boy. I'm working on the next chapter but I don't know when it'll be out, hopefully at least by the end of this week though! As always, thank you for the lovely comments and support, ily guys!