Chapter 5: Respect

"And here we have the top contestants riding to the goal, a mere 3 kilometers left!" the announcer's voice boomed. "In front of the crowd we have..."

You drowned the voice out as your attention was solely focused on the path ahead of you and Land Slide. You narrowed your eyes as you observed the upcoming terrain. It was a lake, and you were cut out of your thoughts as the announcer started to explain the possible route.

"The route to the right is the longer route, while the left one is pretty rocky! Which will the racers choose? Can they hold out?!"

The contestants around you began to disperse to the two sides. Meanwhile, you... you were debating about the third route. The lake was big, but... maybe if you pushed your horse the right way, she could just barely jump over it. If she made it, it would give you a huge advantage and you'd probably take 1st place... But could you do it? There was no time for doubt, you made up your mind!

You began to slow your horse down, and of course, this didn't go unnoticed by the announcer.

"What's this? (Y/N) (L/N) is slowing down?! Is her horse too tired to go on?!"

Gyro and Johnny cast a glance at you. But you knew what you were doing.

Land Slide began to take a couple steps back, and at once, you urged her to run. Run, run, run! And just began her hooves hit the shore of the lake, you yelled.

"JUMP!"

And almost magically, Land Slide rose in the air. You could feel the sun beating down on you and the other stares of the riders on you. After your few seconds of glory, your mare landed at almost the end of the lake, splashing you.

"Ladies and gentlemen, did you just see what I did?! What a huge surprise! There's a third route! And (Y/N) (L/N) took the risk and managed to cut through the lake! She's now way ahead of the other riders!"

You huffed as you gripped your heart that was beating insanely quick. You had really pulled off a stunt like that! Well, more like Land Slide did. You scratched behind your horse's ear as she whinnied in pleasure. She began to slow down, but you didn't mind. All of the other racers were quite far behind you, and Land Slide was probably tired from the jump.

In a matter of minutes, you had reached the goal and you threw your arms up in the air as sweat rolled off your forehead. The announcer screamed out your name and soon enough the other racers came tumbling right after you.

"(Y/N) (L/N)! (Y/N) (L/N)! She came to take the lead! As first place, she receives the 100 points and one hour time bonus. The placements for the third stage are as follows..."

Quickly drowning out the voices, you hopped off your horse to give your body a much needed stretch and give your horse a break. Of course, being the pure oblivious soul you are, you didn't notice the long stare you were getting from a certain blonde haired man.

It had been a few days since the previous stage had ended. Everytime you thought about your victory, you got all giddy and happy but you knew you shouldn't get cocky. The sun was setting, and only a sliver of light was remaining. You had found a decent spot to rest for the night, as there were no inns or towns anywhere near. Settling down, your horse laid down to rest her legs as you began to collect some twigs and branches lying around to create a fire. Tucking them underneath your arm, you walked back to the center where there were conveniently two log seats, as if someone was here before you.

Flopping down onto the seat, you dropped the branches in front of you and began rubbing them together. Your bottom already hurt from sitting on this rock hard log but it was better than nothing. You were quite experienced in starting fires, so in no time there was a vibrant flame in front of you. Sighing, you wiped your hands on your pants until you heard galloping footsteps approaching from behind you. Your shoulders jumped in surprise as you quickly got to your feet and turned around, motioning Land Slide to get near you.