| 22 | révélation

Start from the beginning

Despite our differences, my feelings for him kept staggering to something I wasn't ready to face yet.

"Oğul, why aren't you answering my calls?"

The unfamiliar silvery voice was enough to capture our attention.

Beside Ludovic's luxurious vehicle was a middle-aged woman who was unrecognizable.

Her lavish clothes hinted at her aristocratic status as she wore many jewelry with high fashion sunglasses that were way above my pay grade.

"Coming here was unnecessary." Ludovic immediately broke our contact to address the stranger, "I told you I won't be late."

Her expressionless face was intimidating as the wind danced with some of her grayish locks.

"I wouldn't be here had you answered me immediately." she asserted in a sophisticated voice before pressing on, "Is it wrong of your mother to check up on you?"

Her question was enough to make me freeze on the spot.

I could feel my heart pounce ten times faster due to anxiousness.

Oh gosh, Ludovic and I just started dating and he rarely shared stories about his family in our conversations.

Therefore, I had no idea how to impress his mother without acting stupid.

"Who is this?" his mother questioned in a patronizing tone as I could sense her eyeing me from head to toe.

All I could do was be myself and hope it was enough.

Ludovic hesitated for a few seconds before introducing us both,

"Mom, meet my girlfriend Anaya," he began rapidly before pointing his finger from me to her, "Anaya, this is my mom."

Hoping for the tension to dissipate, the lack of enthusiasm on her face was enough to exacerbate matters.

A few awkward silent seconds passed.

"I don't believe I've met your parents before." she addressed me for the first time that day, "What are their credentials?"

Her question took me aback as I felt highly scrutinized.

Ludovic looked frustrated as he glared her way, "Please don't start with your interrogations right now—"

"I'm sure the young lady can speak for herself." she interrupted him in a shrill tone as she took approaching steps towards me, "I'm just trying to get to know the girl who's dating my son. Unless she has a problem with that?"

There was something about her tone of voice that rubbed me the wrong way.

"That's okay," I addressed her in a friendly tone, "My family and I live a simple and private life. My parents aren't wealthy but they've sacrificed a lot for me and my siblings."

My answer didn't seem to please her since she failed to comment.

After, she anchored her attention to Ludovic, "We shouldn't be late for your brother's polo match. It starts in less than 30 minutes."

Before she could withdraw, I outstretched my hand for her to shake,

"It was nice meeting you Mrs. Delmore," I radiated liveliness but the cold expression on her face was enough to make me feel worthless.

For the first time, she removed her shades to position them on top of her short curls.

Her stormy eyes pierced through me thereby disorienting me.