Chapter Thirty Five

Subscribe to my patreon for exclusive content, character back stories and unpublished chapters!

patreon.com/beccabuttabean

You also have the option to be written into a chapter or into your very own short story!

    "You're awake," I breathed in slight annoyance and then realised the way I was sitting on Acera and hurriedly switched it so I sat normally, cheeks a burning tomato red.

He pressed three of his fingers to his forehead, heaving a sigh. "Looks like it." He wriggled up in his seat.

    "What happened to you?" I was still a little breathless from the moment with Acera and sounded like a parched dog. Acera's body was stone beneath me, though, as he started the engine, pulling up onto the road again. He didn't breathe, finding it too difficult to accept his brother's presence so near to him.

  "Care to be a little more elaborate?" Inerra drawled, violently snapping the seatbelt clip to free himself of the restriction and then stretching while his bones clicked.  

    "Why did you drop unconscious like that?" Irritation dripped form my every word. If he didn't go back to sleep in the next five seconds I was going to smack him into unconsciousness.

He paused in his movements, sliding me a sultry smirk. "Were you worried about me?" His voice was husky.

My teeth gritted, eyes giving him a deeply sardonic look. "Give me a straight answer."

He ran a hand through his black hair, glancing over his shoulder to the back compartment as if questioning why we hadn't put him back there. Then his eyes widened.

  "What. The. Fuck. Did you do to my Ferrari?"

He glared at me, turning my body to ice. His eyes barely grazed Acera as if he was avoiding the subject altogether.

    "While you were dreaming of ponies and rainbows we had to escape the Darkness Palace?" I reminded haughtily. "Acera carried both of us. You should say thank you."

His eyelid flickered. "I am aware of that, but where in the escape does destroying my beautiful car come in?"

I clamped my mouth shut, wanting to scream at him for being so far up himself that he couldn't see what we'd had to go through to get here. I nestled back in Acera's lap and took to eyeing the road. There were barely any cars despite it being a main road. All of a sudden a cold hand reached for mine and squeezed tightly.

I jerked my head back to study Acera's face illuminated by only the dashboard or the intermittent beams of light from other cars. He gave his head a shake, fangs bulging under his top lip with a muscle feathering along his jaw. I gripped his hand back and leant in to press my lips to his ear.

    "Trust me. He'll explain everything once we get to our destination," I assured softly and then kissed him there.

I nuzzled his neck, eyes closing. The intense awkwardness was steadily easing, but it would take hours until even a fraction disappeared. I swallowed a mouthful of his sweet, mouth-watering scent before working on sleep.

        "What led you to choose the Ferrari instead of the other types of transport?" Inerra inquired, shattering the silence.

My lids snapped open, brows tugging together. "What do you mean? It was either this or we keep running."

        "Ah," he said to his thoughts. "The others must have gotten to the clearing before us."

I kept my cheek to Acera's chest, too comfortable to move but still curious. "Who are the others? Do you mean the rogues?"