Chapter Thirty Three

Inerra, whose eyes I was now seeing from, watched through the tall black trees as the moon hung low in the sky. My mind was silent as I, too, studied the pack of rogues feasting on several animals. One in particular with short blonde hair and piercing blue eyes seemed to be in command, hands on his hips most of the time. He had a broad chest, was muscular. A pair of dark brows were knitted together as he sniffed the air. "What is he doing?"

The others glanced up from their meals. A black haired male licked his lips of blood. "He is still on his way, isn't he...?"

    "He...he has chosen another direction!" the leader boomed. "Why is this? What has led him astray of his predicted path?"

Inerra slowly stood, darting his gaze over the trees. "Acera," he grumbled under his breath in suspicion. "What are you doing? Where are you going? Please don't tell me it's that human girl again."

Human girl? Me? Or someone else? When was this memory?

Inerra heaved a sigh, gaze lingering back on the group of around thirty rogues. The leader was both mystified and enraged. He turned to a brunette female and punched his hand through her chest before pulling out her dead heart. He then hauled her limp body against his and kissed her. I wanted to throw up my insides, but of course this wasn't my body. This was Inerra's.

Without warning, he took off, moving so fast I couldn't believe I was keeping up with every image blurring past. His eyes caught every instant, every object as if he were moving at snail's pace. A familiar scent shot up my nostrils, stirring the lust inside of me. Acera was near.

Eventually Inerra slowed outside a small village. Snow was beginning to fall, dusting the earth like icing sugar. He kept to the trees, eyes following the dark haired, cloaked pureblood. I watched with fascination and love squeezing at my heart. His amber eyes were lost and vulnerable. It reminded me of the time when Dremos told me Acera had once been so depressed he'd nearly killed himself. I shuddered.

The new King of Darkness lifted his eyes to the stars, murmuring something, and then slid his fingers between the bottom of a window and its ledge. He then, silently, lifted it up. No one was around. It seemed quite an old fashioned village and there were only around twenty houses together around a well. A few shops littered the grey bricked road and in the distance hills rolled into mountains peaked with snow. It was a truly beautiful place; a sanctuary.

Inerra waited, hand on the bark of a tree, eyes focussed on the dark room Acera had entered. He knew this house; knew who lived here. "Damn intervening human...she'll be the death of him...cursed female..." Inerra muttered in complaint. His nails dug into the bark. "Fuck it."

He appeared by the window of the two storey house with stone walls. He pressed his back to the outside wall, relying on his ears to pick up Acera's whereabouts in the house. A soft chill crept down my spine. Inerra closed his eyes and then, all of a sudden, we were watching from inside a darkened room.

Acera was perched on the side of a bed, pale fingertips skimming the temple of a girl with long bronze ringlets and rosy cheeks. My breath hitched. That was me, asleep, oblivious to the fact that Acera was touching me. A small smile lined his lips, eyes a warmer shade of orange. I must have been twelve. This startled me.

Five years ago. This moment occurred just five years ago.

I abruptly recognised everything. I'd lived here with my aunt Maggie until I was fifteen when I decided to live alone. The village was called Erland, not a very eventful place with a tiny school. But it had strong connections with British Intelligence, there was a base in the mountains where top agents would sometimes assemble.