Chapter Fourteen

I could feel his finger drawing circles on my spine, the back of his hand stroking down my temple, his slow steady breaths matching mine. Was there any better way to wake up than in a pureblood's arms? Days ago, I would have detested the idea of it, but to say that I'd liked being with Acera was an understatement.

My lids fluttered open. I was splayed over the supermodel like a personal blanket. My cheek was warm from being pressed to his chest and I tried not to think about our bodies being against each other in the perfect places. My legs straddled his waist, bringing more than comfort to us both.

    "How long have you been awake?" I croaked, wincing at the sharp pains in my head.

His fingers paused at my temple before pushing back through my hair, running across my skull. It felt incredible. "Not long. I enjoy listening to your breaths while you sleep. It's rather relaxing."

I fought a smile at this, taking to running my palm down his cool bicep, tracing the intricate blue veins with an index finger all the way down to his wrist and then meeting his palm. He slid his hand back, twining his fingers with mine and then flipping our hands. My heart skipped a beat. We might as well have been lovers.

I swallowed at that thought, pushing myself up with my free hand to look into his peaceful face. A smile played at those perfectly sculpted lips. "How long are we going to be on the run for?"

His hand drifted up to my face, thumb stroking along my cheekbone affectionately. His orange eyes were soft. "A few months at most. Who knows? If the vampires of this world continue to hunt you, it could be years."

I tried to hide my disappointment but it was like trying to tame a lion with your bare hands – impossible.

    "I'm never going to stop protecting you, Charlie. I have all of eternity to keep you safe," he assured in a lull.

  "But I'm human, I'm only going to be here another sixty years if I'm lucky and that's like a minute for you," I whispered fretfully. "What's the point in protecting me if I'm just going to die anyway?"

He was suddenly fierce, his hand tightening in mine. Then he switched our positions so I was lying on my back. "You are the most important thing in my existence. Everything I do, I do for you. Whether you're with me for a day, a week or a thousand years, you will be my primary concern. You've no idea how special you are to me."

I stared; breathless; thoughtless; stunned. To be so vital to something so powerful brought butterflies into my tummy. I wanted to feel that longing he did for me, I really did, but there was a part of me still very dominant that didn't want to let go. I couldn't trust myself if I were to fall in love with a dangerous, flawless vampire.

My fingers touched his lips, then followed the curve of his cheek up to his black hair where I slipped my fingers inside. I tugged gently and he, slowly, leant into me. My eyes slid shut as our lips came together. I whimpered a little at his carefulness despite his clear desire to kiss me harder. He teased the kisses from my lips, firm body fitting perfectly on mine.

His tongue dominated mine faster and faster as the kiss intensified. Both of my hands got lost in his raven black hair, my legs wrapping around his waist and tightening. He groaned softly and while I was gasping for air, started to kiss down my neck.

Our bodies were doing that thing again were they wanted nothing more than friction.

His playful tongue found where he had bitten before, tasting it, then moving further down to my sensitive collarbone. My back arched into him, allowing his arms to circle me and hold me to him.

Now this was the cure for a hangover.

His hands pushed up my grey top, exposing my milky white stomach. He paused, cool breath against my skin making my toes curl, eyes marvelling its every rise and fall, then proceeded to sprinkle kisses. I wriggled a little as his mouth travelled past my bellybutton, but he stopped before reaching my legging line and started to work his way back up again, strong hands holding me still.

I swallowed against a dry throat, my heart hammering there in a frenzy. My mind was a blur for a moment in which his mouth found my neck again, fangs grazing along my flesh. He nipped me playfully, kissed me once on each cheek and then planted one on my lips where my arms locked around his neck, deepening the contact.

    "We should get dressed. We've got a little something planned for this evening," he told me, fighting pants.

I nuzzled his neck, holding him to me, never wanting to let go. "I don't want to get up. Stay here till I'm eighty and wake me up every morning like this?"

He chuckled huskily into my ear and then pulled me onto his lap, suddenly sitting. I complained about the cold, clinging to him tighter.

  "Come now, lovely. We've got a ball to attend in a few hours."

My eyes flew open. "A ball? As in dancing?"

  "Yup. I have your dress sorted already," he assured.

    "I can't dance to save my life, Acera," I warned him.

  "I'll guide you," he murmured into my skin, moving off of the bed while cradling me in his arms. He sped around the room and then placed me on my feet in front of the bed which had some clothes set out on it. "I'll go get your lunch prepared."

I reached for him as he started to walk away and stepped closer to plant a kiss on his lips. "I'll be five minutes, tops."

He smiled slowly. "Five minutes."

I took my time to change, contemplating despite the headache. Was I being too calm about this? Was the alcohol still taking affect? Did I really just willingly kiss Acera again? What was happening to me? Why was I suddenly so at ease with the existence of vampires?

I was a slayer. This wasn't me.

I was going to change the instant I stepped out of this room.