Family

You'd spent a few days at the Charlotte palace and had become the center of attention for many. It was jarring, going from someone they ignored, to paying little attention to, and now being fawned over constantly. It was even more surprising when you realized the sudden affections weren't just because of the coming baby. Some of the family had noticed how close you and Cracker were and had decided if he loved you, it wouldn't hurt for them to warm up to you as well.

It led to some long overdue introductions to different parts of the family you didn't even know existed. Like the two brothers that made up the set of triplets with Katakuri. And Cracker's two sisters that also happened to make him a part of triplets. In fact, you learned that the reason Big Mom had so many kids was because she rarely ever had just one at a time. They often came in sets. You shuddered at the thought of raising more than one kid at once, at least ones at the same age.

With the new flurry of activity around you, you found yourself more tired than ever and your only saving grace when it came to finding quiet time was the constant need for rest. Cracker loved his siblings but he wasn't afraid to tell them to give you two some privacy when you needed a nap. Most of the time he'd sleep with you and that was especially true as of late. With you ready to deliver at any time, he was watching you like a hawk. There were times you could tell he wanted to go spend time with his family but every time you'd suggest he do so, he'd turn it down and snuggle up with you instead.

Right now, you were in the middle of one of those naps. You'd gone back to your room for it and burrowed under the sheets with Cracker. The curtains were kept closed, only letting a sliver of daylight into the room. Despite the soothing darkness, you felt restless and kept waking up every few minutes, either because Cracker or the baby was moving around. One of them would readjust and you'd immediately wake up from your light sleep to change positions as well, hoping it'd be enough to make everyone comfortable only for it to happen again after you'd settled down.

With a sigh, you gave up on getting any real rest, flopping onto your back and feeling everything press into your spine. It didn't feel great but you were provided some relief in knowing it made the baby comfortable enough to sit still for a bit. There was some grumbling as your partner turned to face you, squinting through the darkness as he searched for your eyes. The usually heavy sleeper had practically attuned himself to sensing when you were having issues with something and now woke up easily, just in case he could help.

He scooted closer to kiss your cheek and rubbed a hand along your belly.

"S'matter?" He mumbled, his lips brushing against the side of your face.

"Can't sleep, nothing to worry about." You hummed and twisted your head to kiss him.

"Wanna talk then? Until you're ready to sleep again?" He propped himself up on an elbow, forcing himself to wake up with you.

There was something on you mind you did want to talk to him about, a couple things that you'd thought about recently that were beginning to bother you. You watched him carefully, figuring out how you wanted to approach things.

"Do you think.....I'll be able to avoid doing any more jobs after all this?"

He frowned slightly, not quite getting what you meant. "After all what?"

"After we have kids and they're grown up enough to have more independence. What if your mom decides I can work for her again when there's no longer a need for me to constantly watch children?"

"I don't think that'll ever happen." He calmly pushed your shirt up enough to trace a finger over your bare belly, hoping to elicit a reaction out of the baby. "Who's to say when a child no longer needs their mother there for them anymore? Mine is such an important part of my life, even at my age. Momma understands that and she wouldn't force you away from having such a relationship with your own kids."