Episode 1.1

Qianlong's 6th Year, February 2nd

Dressed in turquoise changpao and simple straight braids down their backs, the new embroidery girls were marched into the Forbidden City to sit their final examination.

Many of the girls hadn't seen such finary before and looked around, admiring the bright red walls and equally bright decorations. But to Wei Yingluo, this was not of importance. This whole place was a network of traps in disguise. The girls turned their heads side to side, looks of awe on their faces. 

"Stop looking around! This is the Forbidden City, the most honourable place under the heavens. How is it tolerable for you to ogle at?" Snapped Aunt Fang.

They arrived in a small garden, where several young girls no older than 15 or 16 stood dressed up in pastel colours in the finest materials and flowers in their hair. 

"Elder sister Wuya is so pretty," Gushed a girl in with three earrings in her ear, 

"Elder sister Wuya's hairpin is very beautiful." Added a girl with doe-like eyes, and Wuya smiled, pleased by their compliments.

One of the girls, who Yinglou knew as Jixiang, gasped in awe, her eyes drinking in their beautiful dresses, "Wow, who are they?"

"They," said another girl called Linglong, " Are noble ladies who are entering the second round of selection for the harem."

Jixiang sighed in envy, "Their clothes are so beautiful! If only I could wear them too, I'd think I'd look very beautiful."

A girl snorted, "These women are from prestigious families, they become our masters as soon as they enter the palace. While people like us, even if we pass the talent selection and training, we can only serve as a palace maid." She nudged Jixiang, "You're daydreaming!"

As she nudged Jixiang's elbow, the bucket full of water she was holding fell to the ground and sloshed by Lady Wuya's feet, spraying onto the hem of her dress. The girls gasped. 

Jixiang looked up terrified. She knelt down in front of Lady Wuya and received a resounding slap,

"You despicable servant!" 

Yingluo watched as Jixiang scrambled back up from the ground and knelt in front of the girl. 

"This fragrant cloud gauze of mine was specially ordered from Jiangnan- just for today's hall selection! Now that you've dirtied it, what do you expect me to wear to meet the Emperor?!"

"It's your servant's fault," Jixiang gasped, "Your....your servant will wipe it clean for you."

As she reached for the hem of the dress, Lady Wuya viciously kicked her back with a heavy, wooden-soled foot, "Get off!"

"Xiaozhu, please spare me, Xiaozhu please spare me!"

Lady Wuya looked away from Jixiang kowtowing on the floor with disgust. She looked at the terrified embroidery girls, "Well, what do you say?" she drawled lazily, "Should I spare her?"

"Elder Sister Wuya," Murmured the doe-eyed girl, "She wasn't intentional, how about you just spare her?"

Lady Wuya shot her a glare, "Younger Sister Lu, I didn't ask you."

Lady Lu drew back, looking slightly abashed.

Then Aunt Fang, the senior lady-in-waiting who was in charge of the maids, smiled pleasantly, "Wuya Xiaozu, these girls are maids who just entered the palace, as stupid as pigs, if you want to beat them, scold them both are feasible," Linglong quickly ducked her head, "But please don't harm your body by getting too angry."