Episode 2.4

Alone in the embroidery workshop, Yingluo was wiping down some worktables when Zhang Momo walked in. Upon hearing her footsteps, Yingluo turned and greeted her.

"What are you doing here all alone? Where are the others?" Zhang Momo asked,

Yingluo smiled politely, "After finishing all their morning chores, the maids have gone to breakfast."

"Why haven't you gone too?"

"Today is the first day at the workshop, so I wanted to come here a little earlier."

Pleased with her work ethic, Zhang Momo smiled, "You are very responsible."

With many chores on her mind, Zhang Momo walked past her and began inspecting the tapestry still mounted in the loom, running a hand over the fine embroidery. After a beat, Yingluo asked,

"Zhang Momo, I wanted to ask you about a person."

"Who is it?"

"Since Auntie has managed the embroidery workshop for so many years," Yingluo shifted her hands, "Have you heard of... Wei Yingning?"

Zhang Momo froze. 

Immediately collecting herself, she replied quite nonchalantly, "I have not."

"She was a seamstress, how can Auntie not know?"

"There are so many girls in the embroidery workshop," Returned Zhang Momo in a calm voice undertoned with exasperation, as though she were explaining a very simple maths problem to a child, "And many exceptional seamstresses. When everyone's heads are down and hard at work, who knows what anyone's name is?"

But Yingluo didn't stray the slightest, "But her embroidery was exceptional," she insisted, "You wouldn't fail to notice her."

"What does it matter to stand out from the crowd? Every seamstress has their own special gift." Her tone was mild, but her eyes serious, "But I must warn you, the person who you mentioned, the third character in their name is also in Noble Consort Gao's maiden name. Saying it is a taboo among maids."

"Taboo?"

"Correct. The names of concubines are not to be spoken by servants, the person who you speak of would have gone by another name here, therefore you mustn't mention that name again, don't go asking other people." Zhang Momo said gravely, "If someone were to overhear you, it will not end well-" 

Just then, Linglong rushed in, a smile across her face, "Zhang Momo!" she cried, then she spotted Yingluo, "You haven't eaten breakfast! I was wondering what you were doing, turns out you were here chatting with Zhang Momo." She gave a cheeky smile, "What were you guys talking about?"

Zhang Momo smiled mildly, "Alright, since we're all here, let's not waste time, come on an errand with me."

Linglong beamed, "Yes."

Yingluo nodded, "Yes."

----

"Palace maids cannot cross over into other residences, if there are no errands to run outside, they stay within their respective palaces where they fulfil their respective duties. However you two are embroidery maids, and must often fit clothes for various palaces' mistresses." Lectured Zhang Momo as the three walked down the many roads of the forbidden Palace- all of which looked more or less the same, "Therefore it is crucial for you to remember the way around or else you will get lost and can't get back, disrupting your work."

"Understood." Linglong smiled.

She continued, as they turned a corner, "Manager Wu has notified us that Noble Lady Yu is pregnant, thus the embroidery workshop has been commissioned to make some new clothes for her. Once we are in Yonghe Palace, take note of what I do."