TWO

CHAPTER TWO: I SAID WHAT I SAID

Lotus trailed behind Five as a nurse dressed in all white lead them down a poorly lit hallway, she kept her mouth shut until they were brought to another poorly lit room with a table and three chairs. As soon as she crossed the threshold the woman disappeared, leaving them alone.

"You're telling me Diego's in a mental institution?" Lotus whispered, "I don't understand."

"He's from the future. And it's Diego, he probably went raging on about the apocalypse."

Lotus nodded slowly, this whole thing still so foreign. What the hell was happening? They went from one apocalypse to another, now stuck in the past with nothing but each other. Well, they had to find everyone first.

"Five."

They both looked to the doorway to see Diego, dressed in all white. His hair was long like when they first saw him fighting alongside his family, here he looked even more pissed off.

"Hey, Diego." Five leaned back in his chair, "You look good in white."

Lotus rolled her eyes, a sigh of relief escaping her lips. "Thank god you're alright."

His eyes were still trained on his brother, "It's about time you showed up."

"How'd you know I'd be back?"

Diego sighed taking a seat, "Because that's the kinda shit you pull."

Five glanced at her and she shrugged, "I mean, he's not wrong."

"Where are the others?" He looked back at Diego, who was leaning over the desk now. He looked lethal glaring up at them through shaggy hair.

"They're not with you?"

Lotus shook her head, "No."

"We'll find them." Five whispered, "How long have you been here?"

"Seventy five days. Landed in the alley behind Commerce—"

"And Knox." They finished each other's sentence, curiosity now bubbling up in Diego's dark eyes.

"We got here this morning."

"How'd you find me?"

Lotus pursed her lips as Five dug out the paper from his pocket and unfolded it on the desk. "Page sixteen. 'Disturbed man with multiple knives arrested outside 1026 N. Beckley.'"

He slid the paper towards his brother, "That's Lee Harvey Oswald's house. Care to explain?"

"Let's just say Dallas Law Enforcement has not been supportive of my attempt to stop the assassination of   John F. Kennedy."

Lotus snorted, "That's surprising, considering he's their president and he's white."

They both raised an eyebrow at her before returning to their conversation, "That's because it hasn't happened yet."

"And it's not going to happen." Diego whispered, "Not on my watch. Look, I've been shaving down the bars in my room, another day or two I'll be out of this place, then I'll stop Oswald and save the president."

Lotus couldn't even explain how bad of an idea this was, especially for someone locked up in such a place.

"Listen to me very closely, you gibbering moron." Five seethed, "You're not going to do a goddamn thing."

"Why not?"

"Because we have to stop the apocalypse."

Diego shook his head, "No shit. But that doesn't happen for another sixty years."