B-SIDES

Chapter Whatever: If I Say

*If I Say by Mumford & Sons

(I wrote this right after season one because I got bored so this makes no sense and fits absolutely nowhere but here it is anyways)

Everything appeared to be frozen in time, the people, the furniture, the gunshots and shards of glass that sprinkled down like snow on a cold winters day. If he reached out, he could pluck a small chunk and hold it delicately between his fingers.

The Academy was a large building, but everyone seemed to be located in the front foyer. Two masked figures battled it out with Allison and Vanya while Klaus chased after Diego towards the large staircase leading up. On the second floor, where a long overhang took up its space, a railing stretching out to secure the feature. Lotus stood up there, long hair blowing in the breeze that snuck in through the smashed window at her side. She held a small dagger in her right hand, extending it out in front of her for protection. Luther stood on the opposite side, batting away other armed force that charged in on them. Why no one was coming at him, he didn't know. Could nobody see him?

Five charged upstairs towards Lotus, needing to make sure she stayed safe. The last time he wandered into chaos in this house he'd wandered in on her bleeding out in Klaus's arms.

"We need to get out of here." Luther's voice shouted over the sound of more glass shattering.

Five glanced around, recognizing the hidden figures to be those of the commission. This had to be work of the Handler, revenge on him for not staying and working, for choosing his family over business.

"Where did Five go!" Lotus yelled, dodging a round of bullets. "Where the hell is he?"

"Blinked out awhile ago." Klaus came running around the bend, sticking close to Lotus as they circled the area.

"Son of a bitch." Luther grumbled, leaping at one of the suited men and tossing him over the railing as if he was nothing but a paper doll. "This is all his fault."

Five blinked, unsure of what to say— of what to do. Nobody could see him, he was stuck between time and space when his family needed him. He didn't know how he'd gotten there, or how to get out.

"Don't say that." Lotus picked up a large book that had tumbled to the ground, tossing it as hard as she could at the last figure on the second level. It bounced off the mans bulletproof vest and hit the hardwood with a thud. Klaus whirled around as the figure aimed fire at Lotus, and within a blink of an eye the man was flung over the railing by an invisible force, joining his other friend down below.

"Ben has a knack for tricks." Klaus huffed, peaking over the ledge. Allison and Vanya seemed to have taken care of everything on the first floor, both women stood next to each other in a casual embrace.

Five made his way towards Luther who was the closest, staring up at his angered expression. He still wore that oversized green trench coat, hiding what was really underneath.

"We need to go." Diego's voice echoed, "Before they send more."

Everyone seemed to agree as they made their way down the stairs, meeting Allison and Vanya with looks of relief and managed panic.

Lotus hung back, a small frown on her face. She was in a pair of shorts and plain white t-shirt, much like the night they met. She ran up the stairs, turning to where they just walked from and knelt down, scooping up a small plastic lotus. Five suppressed a smile, glad that she had kept the gift he'd given her on one of their adventures. He didn't think she'd keep it, but clearly she did.

"You think you're slick?"

Five's eyes widened as a woman appeared, white hair stark against the blood rolling down her face. The Handler looked the same, despite the damage he'd done to her after blowing her up.

Lotus made a face of shock, "You— you're dead. He killed you."

"Death doesn't really stick, sweetheart." The Handler grinned, "Not when you're like me."

Five started towards Lotus when The Handler's hand shot out and he froze, the woman smiled at him, "I think you've seen enough, Five."

"You get away—"

"Five?" Lotus questioned, green eyes widening once again. "What the hell?"

The Handler turned to her again, nearing far to close to his liking. "We had a plan. The apocalypse was supposed to happen in 2019 and you showed up. You weren't in the cards."

"What are you talking about?" Lotus was surprisingly calm, staring the insane woman right in the bloodshot eyes.

"He was supposed to ditch you all, not bargain for your lives." The Handler seethed, "He only came back because of you. The other side is shit, Lotus Ingrid. The in between is worse."

"What do you want!" Five raged, "Your business is with me, not her."

The Handler rolled her eyes, reaching into her tiny black purse. She pulled out a small gun, like the one she'd shown him back at the commission, when he agreed to go back. It felt like so long ago.

"I'm tired of being stuck."

Everything happened so fast. The sound of the bullet leaving the barrel echoed, and Five swore it moved in slow motion. Lotus didn't even have a clue what happened as it lodged into her chest. The Handler's laugh was shrill as she glanced and sent a wink his way, evaporating into thin air. He screamed.

When she finally hit the ground, he was able to move. Five lunged towards Lotus, falling to the ground next to her. "Lotus?" His voice was shaky, "Hello— hey, it's me. It's me."

"Hey." She smiled a small smile, her eyes already dull and lifeless as they connected with his. Five grabbed her and pulled her into his lap, holding her close as he tried to cover the wound that poured with red liquid. "You still owe me a date."

Five shook his head, "Don't say that. You're gonna be fine."

Her head lulled to the side and it was over. Done. Lotus was gone, and no matter how many times he willed his power to take them back in time, it didn't work.

"No!" He screamed, voice raspy with rage. "No— please, No! Lotus— come back, hey, I'm sorry just please— look at me!"

Footsteps banged up the stairs, his family's eyes landing on them both. Nobody said a word, only Five's loud sobs filled the space. Never did he do this, never did he show this much emotion, but he did now, clinging to the lifeless body of the first person he ever truly cared about.

"Oh my god." Klaus's voice cracked, unable to look away. "Is that... is that Lotus?"

"She killed her!" Five seethed, moving hair away from her pale face, trying to wipe away the blood that stained her cheeks.

"Who?" Luther mumbled.

"It doesn't matter." Five wiped his eyes, unaware that tears slowly slid down his face. He gently placed a kiss on her forehead before lying her back on the ground, sadness and anger raging through him as Lotus' warm smile flashed behind his eyes. He pulled himself up, wiped his bloody hands on his blazer and marched towards his family. He wouldn't be able to undue it this time, she was really dead. "I'm gonna find whoever did this and burn them to the ground."

"Five, you can't—"

When the boy stepped off the final step, he took a deep breath, body void of emotion. All he could see was her, his Lotus and her bright warm smile.

"The whole world's gonna burn until I'm through with it."

*~*~*

This is officially the last of the extra chapters, I've got no more until season 3!

Again, thank you to everyone who read this and continues to do so, you guys are the best!

On a side note, I've just uploaded a short story for shawsrocketfundcontest and to be honest, I'm not sure how it works but if you want to go check it out that'd be super cool!

Thank you all again.