Eid Al-Fitr

FINALLY! It's been two days, and it's finally Eid al-fitr the end of Ramadan! Now my old hag for a mother can't slap me or burn me with coals! Well, actually, that's a lie, she still does, but not as hard.

That's a plus.

In a way.

As I quickly write down these words, I'm trying to figure out what to wear, the tanga I wore yesterday or a tanga that is yellow with orange and red stripes?

My mother rushed in, slapped me across the face and I winced.

"Hurry up, you lazy disappointment of a pathetic daughter. There's a party you have to get to, you disappointment" My mother went back to wherever a witch brews potions.

She was the disappointment! A true mother would be nice not cackle all the time and abuse me.

I sighed and gently brushed my delicate fingers against the injured skin and winced again.

Let's just get over with this party.

. . . . . . . . . .

I walked out of our miniature house with the same tanga I wore a while ago and looked what I normally looked like.

My siblings hurried around to find their friends and whatever else. I looked around. Where was Akuchi?

Ack, I'm such a weirdo! Akuchi must think I'm such a brainless girl that fell for him!

A few people in the village's job was to play the drums while the others lingered around talking to other ones in the village and who were drinking a thing called wine which the village leader had bought from another village that harvested grapes. The water was on the left side of me, where the crocodiles waited for strike.

"Hey, I bet you're looking for my brother," A male voice said behind me and I whirled around and saw Akachi and resisted growling. Akachi was handsome but not as much as Akuchi, he wore a white kanzu that hung at his ankles and his eyes twinkled like stars. "I bet that's a yes."

Pain in the butt.

"Why do you care?"

Akachi shrugged which made me want to tie him up to a tree and use him like a pinata. That would be an amazing sight.

"I was just checking."

"Uh huh."

I looked around for Akuchi again, this dumb conversations were just plain stupid.

"My brother is over there." Akachi pointed at where Akuchi was just starting to walk over and I knew my face lit up when I saw him.

Akuchi walked over to me and smiled.

"Hey, Aida."

"Akuchi."

Akachi rolled his eyes and walked away while Akuchi casually stood in front of me and was smiling. He had a white kanzu like Akachi, and looked handsome as ever.

"I hope that was a good 'Akuchi' not you scolding me."

I smiled. Even if sometimes he was annoying-like when he tells me not to get mad at Abimbola. Which happens a lot-he's still nice.

"Oh wow."

"I hope that was a good 'oh wow.'"

I smile again.

"So mature."

"Have you seen the sunset?"

He walked over to the edge of the hill where it dipped down to the lake after at least fifty feet. But it wasn't like a cliff, just a huge hill with our village at the top.

I looked at the sunset and gasped. It was the most perfect thing ever, it was a mix or orange, light pink, red and all the other beautiful colors mixed together against the water with a few ripples every once in a while. I looked at the sunset with my mouth hanging open.

"I'm guessing that was a no," Akuchi sat down where the hill started to slant down and I sat next to him. "Isn't it beautiful?"

I looked at him, with my mouth not hanging open anymore thankfully, and he leaned in close as if he was about to whisper in my ear but he went closer and closed his eyes and kissed me for a second. I was mostly shocked and a mix of excitement.

I looked at the water as soon as it was over. "Yeah it is."

There was a bit of awkwardness. Like when you're talking to someone and have no clue what to say, this is EXACTLY what it is.

Akuchi got up and brushed off the dirt on his kanzu, smiled casually at me and said, "I'll be right back, I need to get a drink."

I smiled back and nodded then looked back to the water, still thinking about the kiss.

After a while Akuchi came back with a drink and handed it to me and I waved him off.

"Sorry, no thanks."

"No problem," Akuchi took a sip then looked at the bottle then kept on drinking it until there was nothing left. "You sure? It was really good."

I laughed.

"I'm sure. How did you get it?"

"Abimbola wanted it for you as a-" Akuchi stopped and fell to the ground and moaned and I stood up in panic and rushed over to him.

"Akuchi?! Are you alright?!"

He looked up at me like everything was alright and I prayed this was a prank.

"Food. . .poisoning. . .that little. . ." He broke into moaning and tears poured out of my face.

Akuchi can't die! I'm going to give Abimbola to the lions! Or a mamba in her room!

"Akuchi it's going to be alright."

"I. . .know." He moaned.

"You think she took it?" I heard a hushed whisper nearby. Sounded like one of Abimbola's stupid friends.

"Probably, she's dumb! Akcuhi gave it to her, she should go unconscious not die, but then we can toss her into the water and it will be food poisoning, which it is." Abimbola whispered back, but she still was very far away.

"What about Akuchi?"

"We'll banish him if we have to."

Aida looked back to Akuchi who seemed to be sweating from pain and groaning with his eyes closed.

"Akuchi please don't die."

"I. . .won't. Go. . ."

I became more panicked. Did something go wrong in his brain if he thinks I'm going to leave him?

"No! I can't."

He opened his eyes. "Go."

I stood up but didn't run away.

"I know. . .about. . .your. . .plan, Aida."

I probably had a guilty expression now. "I planned to run away with you."

"Well. . .I. . .don't think. . .I can. . .right now." He closed his eyes and groaned painfully again.

I looked and heard approaching footsteps. . .at least forty feet away.

"Go!" Akuchi repeated. "Or I will. . .purposely. . .try not to fight the. . .poison."

I looked at Akuchi with tears streaming down my face more. What if I never found him again? "I'll come back sometime."

He nodded and groaned again in pain making me wince as I ran into the bush.

Akuchi has to live.