chapter one

REID'S POV

It was just a normal day in the office, I was busy reading through files. Morgan was throwing pieces of crumpled paper on my desk, trying to distract me. Jennifer, Penelope and Emily were huddled around Emily's desk, giggling. Hotch was in his office before the hurricane hit. Gideon walked in with a figure following him. I put my glasses on to focus on the figure. As they both got closer, I saw that it was a girl. She looked roughly 23, my age. She got closer and I felt my throat getting dry, she was just. Breath taking.

She was quite tall, maybe a little shorter than me. She had naturally curly brown hair that flowed to her shoulders, her piercing blue eyes lit up the room. They attracted the entire rooms attention, she was wearing a black pencil skirt with a white blouse and a black blazer. Along with some black heels which made her look taller so my guess is that she is shorter than I first thought. She had light makeup on that really displayed her eyes and her glasses were sparkling in the sunlight. Gideon was smiling as he called the whole team over for an announcement.

"So everyone, this is Alena. She is my daughter and she will be working as an agent here at the Bureau. She will be joining us on our first case of the week."

He walked off with Hotch into the conference room, she stood there looking a bit uncomfortable. Jennifer immediately reached out her hand

"Agent Jennifer Jareau. This is agents Prentiss and Morgan and that is Doctor Reid."

She shook all of our hands, when she got round to me, I shook her hand and she was exremely shocked.

"Whoa."

I was confused

"Sorry did I do something?"

She chuckled

"Oh no. I just didn't expect a handshake from you."

Now I was intrigued

"How come?"

"Well you seem like a classic germaphobe. With the way your stood, your body language etc."

Everyone giggled, Emily was smiling

"Reid's getting profiled by the newbie."

Derek encouraged her

"Please continue."

She gave me a look, essentially asking for my permission. I just smiled at her and she took that as her answer.

"Ok um, early to mid twenties. I would say 23 even though you do not like your birthday. You are extremely intellectual and have an IQ of 185- nope. 187. You have an eidetic memory, not sure about photographic. You seem to have three PhD's, I will just roughly guess. Mathematics, of course. Chemistry and Engineering based on your hand sculpture. You work well with your hands, you just don't show it. You also have BA's in; Psychology, Sociology and you are in the mid of a Philosophy BA and to top it all off, you speak Russian. Wait, no. German."

I stood there, my jaw dropped. Everyone else was the exact same, she went to walk off before whispering into my ear

"And just thought I'd let you know, those glasses look good on you doctor. So don't feel self-conscious."

She smiled, closing my jaw shut and walking off. All the girl giggled, walking into the conference room. Morgan pretended to have a microphone in his hand, commentating.

"And if you missed it ladies and gentlemen, Doctor Spencer Reid just got profiled and stripped from his title of the BAU genius. We now go to an exclusive from Doctor Reid. How does it feel doctor? To be stripped from your title?"

I smacked his hand

"Shut up Morgan."

I walked into the conference room with my head buried in a file and Morgan, snickering behind me. Alena walked in shortly afterwards, smiling and sitting down on a seat next to JJ and me. I was blushing hard. Penelope began explaining

"Tuesday, filed missing persons report from the police station in Burbank, Los Angeles. 10 year old Jessie Lewis, her mother reported her missing from school in the morning. Later in the week, another file was reported. 9 year old Stacie Everton, the same situation as before. These two victims are best friends, as are their mothers. The school community is close and it's only a matter of time before the next child goes missing. The reports are always made at 3:30pm, half an hour after the children are released from school."

Alena spoke up

"There's a pattern to the abductions. Every other day, a girl goes missing. He started at an age, 10 and his pattern is going backwards every other day. The next girl he plans to abduct will be 8 years old from the same school."

Something clicked in my head

"Yeah, this has to be someone that works within the school system. It has to be a sexual sadist, male, maybe a janitor or a bus driver?"

Hotch stood up

"Wheels up in 20."

Everyone walked out, I was still so taken back by Alena and her profiling skills. Morgan patted me on the back, singing and teasing

"Your in love with the chief's daughter."

I smacked his shoulder and walked out, I got on the Jet and saw Alena sat by the window with Gideon and Jennifer. I sat down next to her and she smiled. We took off and I could feel her heart racing. She seemed unsettled, I whispered into her ear

"You get use to it, after the third case."

She looked at me, confused

"What are you talking about?"

I smirked at her, she was strong. Didn't want anyone to see her soft, vulnerable side.

"The flying, I was hesitant and scared at first but I got use to it and so will you."

I scooted closer to her, Gideon was asleep so he didn't see but Jennifer saw

"You can squeeze my hand if you want."

I placed my open palm on her lap. She smiled

"Thank you, I may take you up on that offer when we land."

We both smiled, I continued the conversation

"So um I just wanna ask, how did you know all that stuff about me?"

She smiled

"Well, by the way you carry yourself I just. Estimated."

I was shocked

"Wow, that's amazing. I guess I am not the only genius on the team anymore."

She giggled

"But I did notice something that I didn't want to say aloud."

She grabbed my hand and stroked it

"I understand that this job is hard, my dad is on the verge of dramatic episodes every night. The stuff that you all go through is just beyond imagination and I can tell you have stuff on your mind, heavy stuff. So if you want to talk, I may not be able to relate right now but I can be there to listen."

I normally don't like opening up to my team mates and I find it uncomfortable sharing my personal life but something about Alena. Even though I had just met her, it felt like I could really trust her. Open up to her. I smiled as she released her hand slowly

"Thanks Alena. Your dad is a good chief and I really think you will be a great addition to the team."

HOURS LATER

When we were landing, everyone was getting their files and bags ready. I suddenly felt a warm hand grabbing mine, Alena was looking out the window. She didn't want me to see her weak. I smiled and stroked her hand for a while until the plane came to a stop. She let go and mouthed a 'thank you' to me and I smiled, looking down to the floor.