Chapter Twenty Five

Ivy

I could tell by the look on Tobias’ face that his answer was going to be no. I didn’t quite have my argument yet, so I gave him a pleading look.

“Ivy,” He sighed. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not?” I asked. “I’ve been there before.”

“And look at how that turned out.” He said incredulously. “Your brother wouldn’t let me see you for a month. Do you know how much that killed me?”

“I know. It affected me the same way.” I told him. “I just don’t…” I paused and Tobias gave me a patient look.

“You don’t want to be separated again.” He finished. I looked away, but movement from his side of the booth brought my attention back. Tobias was standing beside the table and holding his hand towards me. I grabbed his outstretched hand and followed him to the counter to pay the bill.

He led me to the car, and after putting my seat belt on, Tobias left in the opposite direction that I expected. “Where are we going?”

“I want to show you something.” He told me. After about ten minutes, Tobias parked the car on the side of the road and started to get out. I quickly followed suit and grabbed his waiting hand.

“I don’t really think that I’m in appropriate hiking shoes.” I said worriedly.

“Don’t worry.” He laughed before quickly dropping my hand and sweeping my legs out from under me. I yelped in surprise and didn’t miss the grin that spread across his face.

“You could have warned me.” I reprimanded.

“Now, what would be the fun in that?” Tobias laughed.

***

After what felt like an hour, Tobias set me on my feet. I stretched before looking over at him. “What could possibly be so far out here in the middle of nowhere?” I asked him.

He grinned at me. “You’d be surprised at what you’ll find out in nature. You get on a rooftop and amaze at the beauty of a sunset, but have you ever stopped to look at the beauty on the ground?”

I looked around the area, but it took me a minute to realize what he was saying. There were fireflies roaming around us, blinking randomly every now and then. Every once in a while, an owl would hoot and another would hoot in response. There were sounds that I had never experienced before. Leaves were drifting in the light breeze that threaded through them and from the animals that were chasing each other. I heard water coming from an unknown direction. I took all of this in and looked at Tobias in amazement.

“I suppose not.” I finally whispered.

“Come on,” He said, holding his hand out for me. “There’s more that I want to show you.” I grabbed his waiting hand and followed him past a few shrubs. After a few minutes, I realized that the sound of the water was drawing closer. “Not many people know of this creek. I only came across it because I was hunting down a… never mind. It’s not important.”

I gave him a questioning look, but he just shrugged and looked indifferent. Tobias kept walking, practically pulling me behind him. We quickly came across a barrier of trees that blocked our path.

Seeming to be expecting this, Tobias let go of my hand and basically jumped into the tree that was proudly standing in front of us. He held out his hand for me, but I looked at him doubtfully. I was a terrible climber and would make an absolute fool of myself if I even tried.

“What’s wrong?” Tobias asked, looking down at me.

“I can’t climb.” I said barely above a whisper.

“Well, then it’s a good thing that I’m here.” He smiled. “Trust me.”

I looked at him warily, but grabbed his hand against my better judgment. Tobias patiently helped me up the side of the tree, guiding me across a few of the limbs before telling me to wait and jumping down.

“Okay, you can jump now.” He called up.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” I panicked. “Are you trying to kill me?”

Tobias laughed up at me. “Just trust me. I’ll catch you.” I didn’t give myself the time to think about it. I jumped off the limb as a scream broke free of my lips and my regret screamed at me for doing this. My fall was over quickly and I was in Tobias’ arms before I was finished screaming. He laughed as he set me on my feet, but caught me again as my legs began to buckle beneath me. “You okay?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I just need a minute.”

I looked up at him after catching my breath and was able to stand on my own, but the view behind him quickly took my attention. Tobias moved aside so I could take in the full view. My breath caught in my throat at the sight before me.