Chapter Twenty-Four

Tobias

I whipped around the last curve with Ivy right on my tail. We had been racing for a while now, but we decided that this would be our last race before we left to eat supper. We had been pretty even so far, but with this race, the winner takes all.

I was about a yard away from the finish line when Ivy brought on some unexpected speed and passed me. She winked at me before barely crossing the finish line before me. She was already waiting by the side of her car when I pulled up next to her. I gave her a look as I got out of my seat.

“Where did that come from?” I asked, while playfully glaring at her.

“My grandfather was a race car driver and my uncle was a street racer. They both taught me everything they know.” She shrugged. “Racing kind of runs through my veins.”

“Good to know.” I laughed. “I almost had you though.”

“You never had me Toby.” She smiled.

“Toby?” I asked, eyebrow raised.

She blushed. “Sorry, it just kind of slipped.”

“I don’t mind.” I smiled. “You ready to go eat?”

“Yes, I’m starving.”

***

“My name is Jessica and I will be your waitress this evening.” The waitress, Jessica, smiled. “What would you like to drink?”

“May I have a coke please?” Ivy asked. Jessica nodded before looking at me and smiling.

“I’ll have the same.” I told her before returning my attention to Ivy, who looked slightly annoyed. I gave Ivy a questioning look, but she kept her attention on Jessica, who was still staring at me. I raised my eyebrow at Jessica and she blushed before walking off.

“That was weird.” I said to myself.

“No, it wasn’t.” Ivy said, glaring in the direction Jessica took off in. “She was flirting with you.”

“Well, you don’t need to be jealous,” I smiled. “I’m only interested you.”

She blushed and looked down at the table before looking up at me through her lashes. Her green eyes seemed to look right through me and I froze in the booth I sat in.

“What makes you think I’m jealous?” She asked with a grin.

“Because I would react the same way you are if a guy was flirting with you.” I told her. “Actually, I would probably react much worse and we would probably be asked to leave.”

Ivy giggled before looking up at Jessica, who was returning with our drinks. I gave Ivy a look that told her I was up to something.

“Do you know what you want to eat?” Jessica asked, smiling at me.

“Well, my date and I were wondering. Are you overly nice to all the guys or are you practically ignoring her on purpose? If you have a problem with her, we would be glad to get out of your hair.” I told her. Jessica blushed and turned her attention to Ivy.

“Sorry, ma’am.” She apologized. “What would you like to eat?”

“I would like the spaghetti with no meat balls please.”

Jessica nodded and glanced at me. “And for you sir?”

“I’ll have the same please.”

As Jessica walked off to place our order, Ivy gave me a look.

“What?” I asked her.

“You didn’t have to be so blunt about it.” She reprimanded.

“Well, her so called ‘flirting’ was bothering you, therefore it bothered me.” I told her pointedly. “Besides, if we were on Argoron, staring at me so openly is considered rude and she would have been reprimanded for being disrespectful.”

“Well, here on earth,” Ivy put emphasis on earth, “people can openly stare, but it is considered rude.”

I smiled at Ivy before changing the topic. We talked about many things throughout our meal. By the time nine thirty rolled around, the restaurant was almost empty and were cleaning up.

Ivy looked around and sighed. “I guess we should call it a night.”

“Don’t sound so disappointed.” I smiled. “There’s still the ride home.”

“Why do I feel like you want to add more to that?”

“I need to go back home for a few days.” I told her.

“The last time you told me that, you didn’t come back for a week because you were in a coma.”

“That wasn’t my fault.” I laughed. “How was I supposed to know that my father was going to be attacked?”

“That’s beside the point.” She argued. “I want to go with you this time.”