Chapter Nine

Ivy

I looked at Tobias expectantly and he looked away. Looking over at Nathaniel, I saw that he wouldn’t look at me either, but I saw his guilty expression.

“You made him promise not to tell me, didn’t you?” I asked Nathaniel. He still wouldn’t look at me.

“I’m sorry, Ivy.” Tobias told me sincerely. I saw the guilt spread across his face and felt my anger dim.

“I forgive you, Tobias.” I told him, slightly smiling.

“What about me?” Nathaniel asked. I glared in his direction and didn’t respond. “That’s definitely a no.”

Tobias sighed. “Don’t be too hard on him, Ivy. He was just trying to protect you from this.”

“From what? Learning that I’m not a freak after all?” I asked angrily.

“You obviously don’t understand what Guardians do.” Tobias said. A sour expression spread across his face.

“What do you do?” I asked softly. Tobias looked across the room at my brother. Nathaniel nodded in understanding and left the room. Tobias still didn’t talk until a few minutes had passed.

“I’m a trained Guardian Warrior.” He finally started. “It is my duty to know of every threat that could possibly cause any harm here on Argoron and even on you planet Earth. I’ve been trained to be able to stop a threat, even if that means to take the threat out permanently. Even Guardians that aren’t Hunters or Warriors are trained. There are Information Gathers. They’re basically spies that risk their lives to get us information on possible threats. No Guardian can truly have a peaceful life. It’s been ingrained in every Guardian to never truly rest. You can rest for a moment, then you have to get back in the game.

“The life of a Guardian is never easy and your brother was trying to keep you from being forced into our nature. Not that it matters now.” Tobias sighed. “We have a Connection, Ivy. It’s a bond that has many names and effects each species differently. Humans have a Connection, but it’s weak enough that it can be ignored. For Wolf Shifters, it’s called the Mate Bond. Basically, the Soul Mate principle. Even some shifters can ignore the bond, but the effect on them afterwards is truly tragic. For us Guardians, once we meet those we have a Connection with, we will never have another.

“It’s hard to say how the Connection will affect you because you’re half human, but I’m assuming you can feel it because you got angry at your brother for telling me to stay away from you. Our Protector cousins have a Connection as well. They just don’t have a name for it. They simply say that they’ve met the person God has chosen for them.”

“Do you believe in God?” I asked quietly.

“Guardians have a choice on whether they want to believe in a higher being. Personally, from what I’ve seen and experienced, I don’t see how it’s possible to not believe in God. I see God in the trees, the flowers, sometimes even in people, but everywhere I look, I witness the mighty power of the Lord Almighty.” He told me seriously.

We were both silent for a while until someone knocked on the door before entering. A man in a red outfit, curly brown hair, dark brown eyes, and a pale complexion bowed to Tobias.

“Sire, Queen Victoria was wishing to speak with you.”

“Not tonight. Tell her to come by in the morning unless it’s of great importance.” Tobias told him. His whole manor had changed as soon as the man walked into the room. Tobias held himself higher and his voice rang with authority.

“Yes, sire.” The man bowed again before exiting the room. I turned to Tobias as soon as the door was shut.

“You should probably be getting to bed, Ivy.” Tobias told me. There was a gentle look in his eyes. “If you wish, I can call in a guard to escort you to the guest chambers.”

“Can’t I stay here with you?” I asked shyly.

“I would allow it if I weren’t afraid that it would give you a bad reputation.” He smiled sadly. “People love to gossip here and even though we would know the truth, I do not wish that upon you.”

A blush covered my cheeks. “Then I shall see you tomorrow. Good night, Tobias. And heal quickly.”

“Good night, Ivy.” He smiled at me before I left, closing the door behind me.