18

an interesting event happened earlier

an interesting event happened earlier. something you've been expecting for a very long time. although you never thought that you'd be a witness of it.

"he clings on to you during school hours then ditch you when it's over," nakamura says, noticing how you often you've been glancing at karma's empty seat. "that's pathetic, if you ask me. why don't you try waking home with isogai?"

"our home directions are opposite from each other." you said, making your tone sound like what you had said is something obvious that anyone would know.

"walk home with me, then."

turning your head to the side, you held back a breath at itona who's gaze is glued to the expression he might get from his statement. "you..you mean i will walk you home?" you raise a brow.

"basically." itona flatly replies.

not fond of the idea at all, you finished up tidying your desk. "i think i'm independent enough to walk myself home." you spare itona and nakamura a smile, giving them a quick, "see you tomorrow" before heading out of the classroom.

today, you're quite light on your feet, making it fun and easy for you to skip steps on the stairs.

the moment your foot had brushed the next stair, you halted. a familiar voice spoke. it's far from where are and you couldn't figure out what they had said.

curious to who it is but not wanting to disturb whatever they're doing, you hid behind a tree that's big enough to hide your figure from a specific angle.

"we were in the same class last year. i was your seatmate."

finally, you're able to hear words clearly. but that isn't the familiar voice you've heard earlier. this one's new.

"i never got the chance because you were dropped in class-. i didn't approach you because i didn't want my classmates talking badly about me, so i just admired you from afar. i hope you understand."

when the word 'admired' entered a sentence, you're instantly struck by realisation that this isn't just a typical conversation.

it's a confession.

you panicked. you weren't suppose to hear this, nor are you suppose to hear a response from the admired one.

to sooth your curiosity, you took a quick peek of who it may be. it's certainly a classmate from class-e, but you wanted to know who it is.

fingertips brushing against the rough texture of the tree you're hiding behind at, your eyes slightly widens upon catching a glimpse of karma.

no wonder why the voice sounded very familiar.

"he's liked?!" you thought to yourself in shock. you figured that because of his built up reputation of being a delinquent, no one would even spare admiration towards him.

but you must've guessed wrong.

respecting their privacy, you turned your heel around before rushing back up the stairs. maybe walking home with someone is a good idea after all.

what an interesting event.

...

sometimes, karma wonders if you were awake the moment he spoke out his admiration for you. while sometimes, you got him convince that you were, because of how you respond to his mild and indirect affection.

"tired?" he hears isogai question you, tone of concern clearly dripping from his tone.

raising your head, you smile, nodding. "do you want something to drink? eat?" he proceeds to ask, only to receive a quick shook of head from you.

"thanks for your concern. but i think i'll just be needing sleep. a quick nap, maybe?" you rested your chin on your desk, slowly closing your eyelids in a way of starting the nap you've mentioned.

"i'll wake you up when lunch is over." isogai said, sparing you a quick smile as he returns to his group's circle.

"what got you so tired?" another concern friend asks, opening your eyes once more, you wave your hand in a dismissive gesture upon realising who's voice it is.

"i had to do my cousin's science project. it was so sudden, i wasn't prepared." you responded. "..i'm curious," you began as you recalled the event yesterday.

"did you say yes?"

karma raises his brows. he takes the chair behind him, dragging it just in front of your desk before taking a sit on it. "yes to what?" he asks.

he sounded like he had no idea where your question is coming from. of course, he wouldn't. you didn't even tell him that you were there to witness the confession, but wasn't there to hear his response.

"i didn't mean to overhear it. but, can you blame me? you were literally right there, a few stairs down." you said, still not opening your eyes. your intent of taking a nap ease your tired body is still intact.

karma caught on when you mentioned the stairs. since, obviously, that's the location where he received an unexpected confession. "you were there?" he raises a brow. he didn't seem surprise. like you had mention before, it was just a few steps down the stairway, anyone would have witnessed the confession.

unfortunately, the gods didn't want anyone but you to be the one who sees it. that's what karma thinks.

"isn't it already obvious?" you raise a brow.

"i didn't." you open your eyes, not catching up with what had karma said, "what was that?" you ask.

"i didn't say yes."

"oh. okay." you blandly responded. you got the response you wanted, what else is there to question about? being nosy and dipping your finger in a private matter of a friend isn't your kind of thing.

karma didn't seem bothered about it. he likes it. you seem to be uninterested but really, you just wanted to respect his privacy and his boundaries.

it's a good thing you're here. he thought.

and it's a good thing that he had took a liking to you.

reaching his hand to your resting features, he lightly brushes his fingertips across your cheek. he can already hear your faint snore. it reminds him of the time he had confessed to you out of nowhere.

you're always sleeping. always tired, but he didn't mind.

he likes it when you take care of yourself. when you take time to cherish yourself, mentally and physically.

it's a good things that he likes you.

______________

07/02/21