07

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕
“𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐞”

× 𝐖𝐲𝐚𝐭𝐭'𝐬 𝐏.𝐎.𝐕 ×

"Ugh, useless! None of these history books say where the moonstone is hidden." Willa said to the wolves.

We were hanging out in Zombietown, reading the books that Willa technically stole from the library in an attempt to find out where the moonstone was hidden.

"Win the wolves vote, win the election. Easy." I overhear Addison's boyfriend saying over to one of his zombie friends.

The two zombies approached us. "Hello wolves. Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Zed. Zombie. Football star. Presidential hopeful."

Zed held his hand out to Willa, waiting for her or one of us to shake it. He slowly lowered his hand after a few seconds of receiving menacing looks from the pack members.

"When zombies first came to Seabrook, we were outsiders too. Which is why you need a great president like Zed to represent you." Zed's friend commented, looking at the pack with a friendly smile.

"We'd be honored if you joined us." She finished.

Wynter got up, slamming her hand in a book on the table. "Our pack is our pack. We don't need anyone else, so..."

The same little zombie girl I saw the other day came up from behind Zed, approaching Wynter. "Who doesn't want more friends? Underneath all that fluffy hair, I bet you're a real softy."

Wynter leaned over to be the same height as the child, adopting a threatening tone. "I am a mean, mean werewolf, kid. I am tough and rough."

"Aw, you said rough, like a sweet little puppy dog. Rough, rough."

"We are beasts of the forest, we will never be tamed." Wynter replied as the girl stroked her ears. "Oh, boy. Oh, that's great."

She looked over at me and Willa, the latest shaking her head in disapproval.

"Sorry." Wynter murmured with a shrug.

Willa stood up, facing the two zombies. "We're nothing like you zombies."

"You sort of are." The zombie girl started as we all faced her, asking for an explanation. "Your necklace is powered right? Kinda like an organic Z-band."

Willa looked at her, then back at Zed. "You're smarter than he looks."

"Thanks." She replied.

Zed raised his hand to touch Willa's necklace and she tapped his hand to stop him. "That necklace keeps you from fully wolfing out?"

"The opposite. Our moonstones make us our true werewolves selves." Willa answered.

"So, without it, you'd be human?" The zombie asked, curious.

"No. We'd die. We'd be nothing." My sister responded.

I stepped forward. "Imagine how alive you would feel if you didn't have to tamp things down. Hold back your true selves."