03

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑
"𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠"

× 𝐒𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐞'𝐬 𝐏.𝐎.𝐕 ×

I heard a familiar voice calling out my name behind me, which made me turn quickly only to see Addison and Zed hugging each other with concerned expressions and the rest of the cheer team and Zoey behind them.

"Guys! Thank god I found you! Actually, you were the ones finding me, but I guess that doesn't matter.", I said in a relieved tone, which quickly dissipated and became a more cautious tone.

"We're not alone... We're surrounded by... Werewolves.", I whispered the last part, but in a way that the whole group would hear.

"Cool!", Zoey exclaimed.

"What?! Wolves?!", Stacey asked, the panic evident in her voice revealing her mood.

"What wolves?!", Lacey followed.

"Here, wolves?!", Jacey finished.

"Werewolves!", the Aceys shouted in unison, alerting the rest of the cheerleaders, and took their cellphones out of their pockets, spreading our recent sighting of werewolves to all of their friends.

Seeing my fearful expression, Zed put a hand on my shoulder, trying to reassure me that everything was going to be okay. "Nobody's gonna believe this.", he said quietly before going back to Addison's side.

━━━━━━━━ ❪❃❫ ━━━━━━━━

Some hours later, the whole town was sitting in the City Hall. Why? Well, apparently, those stupid messages the Aceys sent to everyone they knew spread out fast.

I sat with Bree and Eliza, trying to see Addison in the crowd. Bucky and the Aceys were sitting in front of me, chatting about the matter of the hour: the discovery of werewolves.

I still didn't know why everybody was freaking out about werewolves being near Seabrook. If zombies could be accepted, why not werewolves? I doubt they are the bloodthirsty beasts everyone says they are.

For some reason, I felt the urge to protect them. I was decided to do everything I could to keep the werewolves safe from the prejudiced Seabrook.

"Werewolves are real. I always, always said the stories of monsters in the forest were real.", Bucky said. I looked in his direction, shocked.

He was a big, fat liar and incredibly no one seemed to notice. Not even his friends, aka the Aceys. A few days ago he had said that all these stories were just stupid myths and now he said that he always believed them.

This is what I hate most about Bucky: he lies and no one seems to object because he is the "golden boy" of Seabrook High.

I looked out the window, tuning out of the rest of the conversations about werewolves echoing through the room. The image of those golden eyes shining in the darkness of the forest flashed through my mind and I felt guilty.

I was taken out of my thoughts when Missy, Addison's mother and the mayor of Seabrook, came up to the podium at the front of the room and started hitting it with a small hammer, trying to catch everyone's attention.

"By order of city council effected immediately, all anti-monster laws are reinstated.", she said with a smile on her face as if it was nothing important.

I heard cheers across the room and my blood started to boil. Why couldn't they see that this was going to affect not only the recently found werewolves, but also the zombies?

I felt so sick that I just stood up and walked away. I wandered the streets of Seabrook for hours thinking about all of the things that would change in the town with the reinstatement of the anti-monster laws.

Five weeks ago I came back to this city, trying to find myself again in the middle of the chaos that I like to call "my life". I started to like Seabrook again. And now everything is going to change.

After a few hours, I found myself at the front gate of Zombie Town, a part of Seabrook that used to be forbidden for humans, but now everyone can have access. It was my favorite part of town.

I walked up to the Fro-yo van, which was managed by the school's football coach. I saw a good-looking boy wearing a Seabrook construction suit and a white helmet in his head also approaching the Fro-yo van.

He was looking at the flavors, but before one of us could order anything, the coach started to close the van.

"Oh no no no no no, we're closed. For good. Dreams of Fro-yo success melted away, with monsters everywhere.", the coach said.

"But-", I started to protest, causing the boy's attention to focus on me, but I was quickly interrupted by the coach.

"Look, I like zombies. They like Fro-yo. But werewolves like humans flesh. And with sprinkles. Everybody likes sprinkles.", the man said, nervously, before leaving with the van.

"Hey, that's not fair! Werewolves don't deserve this!", I shouted in his direction but he was already too far away to hear me.

"Werewolves don't exist", the boy from before, who was still by my side, said.

"Of course they do. I saw them in the woods. But I don't think they should be treated like monsters or anything. They didn't do anything wrong, did they?", I questioned, but it was more of a rhetorical question, so I didn't expect any answers from him.

"If they are real, why are you defending them? You heard the man, he said they were monsters!", the boy asked.

"Well... I just think that they are not what people are saying they are. I am not trying to push them away like everyone else is doing. I want them to feel accepted.", I replied, looking at the floor.

"What's your name?", I lifted my gaze from the floor to face him, surprised that he still wanted to talk to me despite what I had said and the sudden change of subject.

"I'm Sophie Sinclair.", I smiled and held out my hand for him to shake. "What about you?"

"It's a beautiful name. I'm Wyatt Lykensen, by the way.", he smiled, shaking my hand.

Something about him was strange. I felt like I knew him before, but I didn't remember him. It was like there as an important connection between us, but I didn't know how or why because I had never seen him before.

We stood there smiling at each other and shaking our hands for a while, both lost on our own thoughts. All I knew was that I wanted to find out what was this feeling, and I would.

(A/N: Sorry if the chapter got too short, I promise the next one will be longer :P.)