[begin and end, open and close]

[From the world of 'Clover Prince'.]

"His Highness, the Grand Prince of Seveith," the herald announced as Hyunjin stepped into a nauseatingly familiar throne room, followed by Minho and another three cloaked in red.

How long had it been since he'd last walked around that castle? Four years, or so the prince estimated. He wished they were longer.

He could see his brother seated on the throne, an almost mocking expression illuminating his features as he regarded him. "It has been a while, Third Prince."

Before Hyunjin could retort, Minho stepped forward, clutching the hilt of his sword. "You are speaking to the prince consort of Queen Ryu y/n of Seveith."

"Right, right." Hyunjin didn't like the smirk that overrode Chansung's lips at the head of the guard's gracious reminder. He was no longer the Third Prince of Kraya.

For once in his life, Hyunjin wished he could pull his mask up. He supposed that was a terrible habit he'd grown used to, but without the mask, he felt almost exposed. Vulnerable.

You'd been doubtful when he rose to accept Chansung's invitation, but Hyunjin insisted, saying it was about time he faced his brother. It was about time he faced Kraya.

But as he stood there, prone to the malicious eyes of the court, he felt regret crawl its way into his mind.

They all recognized him, of course they did. The whispers shared behind his back told just as much.

Traitor.

Seveithian.

He dared to swallow the lump forming in his throat, hanging on his brother's gaze frailly. If he was uncomfortable, he wouldn't let him take advantage of it. He cleared his throat, "We've arrived as per your invitation."

"Yes, yes," Chansung drawled and gestured dismissively, "Let us sit for dinner first."

A dubious glance ricocheted between Hyunjin and Minho, and the latter smiled dryly, "I'm afraid His Highness cannot stay for long as he has matters to attend to in Seveith."

"Is that so?" The King raised an eyebrow, but Hyunjin could see the dark mischief bubbling in his eyes. "Well, that is disappointing."

"It must be," Hyunjin gritted his teeth, "but as you surely know, duty calls."

"Of course! Ruling a prosperous kingdom such as Seveith must be a task demanding of limitless time and energy. I admire your resilience."

When the prince remained silent, Chansung added, "And your Queen's, doubtlessly."

More silence from the Seveithian party. Hyunjin tried to keep the image of you and Seveith in his head. He could not afford to lose his temper. You trusted him to take this diplomatic trip, settle the matter, and return peacefully. One slip on his behalf and he feared watching disappointment wriggle through your features.

You wouldn't say it, surely, but he would feel it, and he wasn't sure it was a feeling he wanted to live with.

He didn't want to fail you. He couldn't.

So, he forced a smile. "I see Kraya is approaching the Blue Festival. The Seveithian crown sends its felicitations."

Whether he heard him or not, Hyunjin didn't repeat when Chansung ignored him and waved a servant over. "Now unto the main topic."

The servant carried a silver tray with a single scroll on top, bowing stiffly when he came to stand before the prince. Chansung continued, "Since your Queen does not accompany you, I hope you would carry his scroll to her."

Minho was fast to pick it up, leaving the prince cloaked in white to ask, "And what might this scroll say?"

The Krayan King shifted on his throne, leaning and resting his elbows on his knees as a corner of his lips tugged up. Hyunjin felt his throat run dry. "We're suggesting a treaty of peace."

"