Speaking in Tongues: Part One | Yang Jeongin

"When he said nothing, you felt a familiar mute anger rise in your chest. He must think you were pathetic. Maybe a fool. But you were doing everything you could to survive this horrible place."

Something terrible is unfolding in the slums of the crown city, and as the general hurries to put an end to it, he crosses paths with a rogue dancer who is willing to sacrifice everything for her freedom.

◤Disclaimers: From the world of 'Danse Macabre' (no need to read beforehand). Fantasy inspired by Arabian mythology. A blend of fluff and angst. Includes descriptions of violence and injury. Depictions of a human trade. Alludes to mature themes (not explicit) and recalls occurrences of sexual assault (not romanticized, obviously). This does not refer to a historical event of my knowledge, nor does it reference real life nations or people. Female reader insert. 

◤Word count: 10.2K

"Ah, there you are!" Minho clapped a hand on his cousin's shoulder when he spotted him amongst the crowd

"Ah, there you are!" Minho clapped a hand on his cousin's shoulder when he spotted him amongst the crowd. "I was almost sure you weren't going to make an appearance."

Jeongin gave him an easy smile, hands clasped neatly at his back as his twin swords swayed with his steps. "I thought I'd give the prince my well wishes."

It was young Prince Seungmin's ninth birthday that night, and the nobility of Darilmalek had gathered for a celebratory dinner. However, the general's words were only part of the truth. He walked into the party with urgent news to deliver to the king.

But before Jeongin could ask for a private word, Minho was already directing him toward a small gathering where the queen stood with a lady he vaguely recognized. "Dearest cousin, allow me to introduce you to Sayeda Dina, heir to the southern Nasri business."

The woman stood tall, stiff in posture, the darkest waves of hair elegantly hidden under a veil of bright turquoise. A headpiece of thinly pressed gold coins framed her kohl-lined eyes, a grave contrast to her moon-like skin. Her gaze skittered to the ground when she bowed. "It is a pleasure to meet you, general."

Jeongin threw a single disappointed look toward his cousin before acknowledging her. "Likewise."

It was yet another attempt at finding him a bride. He was well aware. The king and queen weren't exactly discrete with their motives.

The general noticed the disapproval woven in the king's expression and dared to hold his gaze back. What were they expecting him to do? Kiss her hand and ask to meet her father?

An exasperated sigh fought to leave his lips.

Instead, he turned to fully face Minho, making sure to stand close enough for his words to meet the king's ears alone. "A word, please."

The king shook his head, a clear sign of disappointment, before taking hold of his wife's hand and excusing himself. "A moment, hubbi."

The queen looked at him then at the general, the smallest hint of amusement curving her tinted lips. "Of course."