(32) TCT: Reigning Beast!

"Strawberries?"

"Yeah." Jonah nodded at him. "I was thinking about making some snacks for tea time. Something with strawberry since Senior Rosehearts like it so much."

That afternoon after class, Trey was about to go to the Ramshackle Dorm to drop some notes (and hoping to meet Riddle), when he was Jonah exited Mr. S's Mystery Shop, carrying a plastic bag filled with chocolate chips, whipping cream, and crackers. He looked a bit disappointed, so Trey decided to talk to him.

"Then you're in luck." Trey smiled at him. "I've been cultivating strawberries as my science club project since last year. I can give you some."

Jonah perked up at this, eye twinkling. "Really?"

"Yes. My strawberries right now are very sour, perfect for strawberry tarts and sweet chocolate."

"Those are for Senior Rosehearts, aren't they?" Jonah chuckled. "You're very loyal to him, huh, Senior Clover?"

Trey's lips pulled up a bit. "Riddle is my childhood friend, it's only understandable."

"He's lucky to have a friend like you."

...

Is he lucky though?

"He's luckier to have a friend like you."

"Eh?"

Trey stopped and Jonah stopped just a few feet behind him. He let out a sigh as he pushed his glasses up his nose. "I have to say thank you for comforting him after him overblotting."

"You knew?"

None of them left when Crowley suggested for them to leave the two injured boys in the infirmary. The headmaster left the door open just a bit, gave them a 'shh~' with an index finger pressed on his lips before leaving them alone. Ace was the first one to take a peek inside, followed by Grim and Deuce. Cater pulled Trey along.

To be honest, Trey was a bit hurt that Jonah was the one who woke up Riddle rather than him. He was supposed to be the one who takes care of Riddle, not this boy who in their first meeting only caused trouble. But the worst part was watching Riddle actually confessing to Jonah, not him. None of them expect Riddle to cry or to just let out everything he wanted but never get it. Watching Riddle just wailing in Jonah's arms stirred something inside him... Something protective...

"Senior Rosehearts is going to need all the help and friends he can get." Jonah suddenly said, making Trey turn around. Jonah stared at him with a warm smile. "You know him more than I do, so I'm going to need your hand on deck."

An invitation...

"I'll do anything."

Without hesitation.

"Thank you." Jonah thrust out his hand. "Welcome aboard, Mister Clover."

Trey stepped forward and reached for the hand. He would definitely help Riddle. He wasn't the little boy who couldn't do anything when Riddle was taken away by his mother that day at the bakery. He wasn't the little boy who didn't dare to speak up when he found Riddle's mother opening the door instead of Riddle himself. He wasn't the little boy who would just walk away when he was called a bad influence.

He's now Riddle's right-hand man and he will do better this time.

-----

Jonah walked happily down the path of the botanical greenhouse. Trey's strawberries looked so good. It was juicy, a bit sour, but would be a good compliment for the chocolate fondue he was planning to make He hoped Senior Rosehearts like it though. He never complained during his stay there, so Jonah sometimes had a hard time guessing. They're gonna need to work on that communications...