Chapter 17 || Conflict

warning: cursing 

(y/n) sighed as the bell rang once again, signifying the end of her sixth class. She had one more class to go before school was over and then she was off to her manager duties for the volleyball club. 

Putting her notebook in her bag, (y/n) quickly took out another one for her last class. She was thankful for the short six-minute breaks between classes, (y/n) didn't know what'd she do if she had to attend four hours of class straight. 

She shuddered at the thought. It was impossible. She wouldn't survive. 

The classroom filled with the soft murmurs of her classmates, all too tired to get up and walk across the room towards their friends. (y/n) looked back at Kenma, the pudding haired boy was already clicking away at his games under the desk. He was hoping to squeeze in one battle before the teacher came in. It wasn't impossible, but it certainly was going to be quite difficult. 

(y/n) heard her phone buzz from under her desk, silently thanking that it went off during break instead of during class. 

'(y/n) please save me. I wasn't paying attention during class, can you send a picture of your notes?' 

(y/n) looked back, catching Sakurai's gaze. The brunette sent her a sheepish smile, clapping her palms together as she silently pleaded for help. 

(y/n) huffed, pulling out the notebook she just put away. She took a few pictures before sending it to Sakurai, hearing the familiar text tone a couple of seconds later. 

(y/n) held back a laugh as Sakurai sent her a thumbs up and a couple of hearts. 

'(y/n) you life saver, I love youuuuuu' 

The girl shook her head, putting her notebook away again before leaning her head on the desk. 

She took in a deep breath. (y/n) was thankful that the weather was cooling down. It wasn't that she disliked summer, but the heat and humidity along with the body heat from the boys in the gym were unbearable, not to mention how the smell of sweat remained even after they cleaned the gym. 

She was sure the team felt the same way. Nekomata-sensei increased their training since the interhighs were coming up, and she was sure they wouldn't survive if the weather was as hot as it was before. The team played in numerous practice matches throughout the past couple of weeks, and many of the third years stayed later to polish their serves and receives. 

(y/n) couldn't even begin to recall the number of times Kuroo told her and Kenma to head home without him, only for the third year to be kicked out of the gym by Nekomata-sensei. 

Nekomata-sensei wasn't opposed to the extra practice, but he did know when to stop the boys. He knew they wanted to improve, but continually pushing themselves to the limit without rest wasn't the way to do it. They'd only hurt themselves more than anything. 

One of the downsides to the increase in practice was that (y/n) and Kenma couldn't spend as much time together. Practice time was cut shorter on the weekends, and they did have Sundays off, but exams were also coming up again and the duo spent most of their free time studying instead of having fun. 

(y/n) sighed, sitting up straight and opening up her notebook to a new page. She lazily wrote the date on the left side of the paper and begun drawing flowers around it. 

The bell rang not long after, the gentle tolls echoing throughout the school. She heard her classmates whispering, all shocked and confused as to why their teacher hasn't arrived. He'd always go on and on about the importance of punctuality, and how being on time was a good habit, so it was strange that he wasn't here.