12. THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP

Start from the beginning

Ignoring the curious glances of his fan girls, I pull out his earphones gently. Before he could look at me, I pull him into a warm hug, resting my head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, I should've been there for you, I should've walked after you even if you told me not to. We're supposed to be friends." I could feel Ben's body stiffen at my words.

"V." he whispers, wrapping his arms around me tightly. "It's as if I've always known you, thank you for being here with me, it means a lot to me."

I could hear whispers around us. Right. A celebrity can't have a scandal. I try to pull away from him but instead he hugs me tighter, causing various people to gasp. But after a few seconds I realise why he doesn't want to pull away.

His tears were staining my shoulder. I guess he doesn't want anyone to watch him cry. I smile, he's too innocent for this world, it would hurt to watch him fall over a stupid misunderstand. He didn't push Vincent off the rooftop, there must be more to this story.

"I see, you stayed." the sound of Atlas' voice fills the atmosphere. So I was right. He was testing my friendship with Ben once again. He wanted to know if I would walk away the second time.

After a few seconds Ben pulls away. "Of course she would stay, V is a reliable person, she's one of the most trustworthy people in this school!" Ben's words cause me to smile but my smile drops as I notice Atlas' intense gaze. I could tell he still couldn't trust me.

"Is this a staring contest? Let me play too! I'm good at these things." the sound of Chandler's annoying voice causes me to laugh silently. Atlas looks away, clearly embarrassed of what Chandler said.

"I want to try too!" Ben places his hands on my shoulders, forcing me to look his way. His eyes fall on mine as I gazed deep into his deep eyes, I felt my heart rate quickening. I wasn't used to boys randomly staring into my eyes, I wasn't used to absolute eye contact.

"Valerie, why are your cheeks red?" Chandler comments, his tone lower than usual.

I blink abruptly, turning away from Ben and his overwhelming gaze. "It's stuffy here, that's why." I lie, causing Atlas to scoff.

"The school has built in air conditioners everywhere, it's impossible to feel hot in here." Atlas states, crossing his arms with disinterest. All Ben does is laugh as Chandler furrows his eyebrows suspiciously.

Ben pulls me by his side. "It's science. Body warmth makes you feel hot, thus that's why V was feeling hot regardless of the air conditioners. Right V?" Ben's gaze falls on me, I nod my head instantaneously. I don't want them to assume other things, I look at Ben as a friend; nothing more.

"Speaking of science, the test week is next week. We all get assigned to classes based on the ranking we get, will I be able to get to class 0!" Chandler exclaims, pulling out a folder from his bag. "Look at my aesthetic notes, do you see how nice my pastel highlighters look!"

Chandler always wrote neat notes. Surprisingly enough, he would spend a lot of money on stationary to make his notes look presentable. Personally I found it easier to write notes with one highlighter and pen but Chandler uses several types of colour methods to write his notes.

"Pretty notes don't always equal good grades." Atlas says, glancing down at Chandlers notes. "Unless you're a good visual learner, regardless of that, it's difficult to enter class 0 and replace any member in it. Class one on the other hand, is easier, you should aim for it." his words cause me to clench my fists. Why is he acting like not just anyone can get into his class?

It motivates me to work harder and score high so I could enter Atlas' class. That way I would be able to gain more information on him for Silvia. Additionally, the only way to succeed in this world is to stay at the top, a position where nobody could reach you.

"I'll study this time but I'm scared I'll drop from class one." Ben says, nervously rubbing the back of his neck. "I guess I'm not smart enough."

Atlas shakes his head. "You are. Just study hard." his energy was different towards Ben, unlike the way he treated Chandler. I furrow my eyebrows, he could've just told Chandler to work hard too, instead of telling him his only limit is Class One.

"I'm sure I can reach Class Zero, all you have to do is study the right content—" but before I continue Atlas interjects my statement.

"You couldn't solve a math question properly and you think you're good enough to reach Class Zero?" he says bluntly, not caring whether I'd be offended or not. It bothered me how harsh he was, he doesn't give a chance for hope. When it came to me, he only saw mistakes.

I glance at his nonchalant looking face. "Practise makes perfect, mistakes help you progress. I'll be in Class Zero if I try hard enough."

Atlas simply shakes his head. "Okay. Show me what you can do."

"If I do get in, you'll have to grant me three wishes." my words cause Atlas to raise his eyebrows.

"Three wishes? How am I sure you won't take me for granted?" he questions, glancing at me suspiciously.

I smile falsely. "Wishes are supposed to get granted, so it's obvious the one who makes the wishes come true get taken for granted."

Atlas nods his head. "You have a point. But what happens if you don't get into Class Zero?"

I pause. "Well, what would you want?"

Atlas glances at Ben for a moment.

He leans in closer towards me. "Leave Ben alone." he whispers, making sure nobody around us could hear.

do you guys like atlas? do you think he has the right to stop valerie from being bentley's friend?

i am so sorry for the late update! but thank you all for 7000 reads! it means so much to me. i will be updating this book continuously from today due to having a lot of free time!