𝟱 - Goodbye, for now

Start from the beginning

The boy's voice sounded like an echo from far away, and Hill just stood there as she tried to fight back her tears. She didn't know why she wanted to cry. Was it because of guilt? Fear? Or was she touched by Harry's caring words? She had no clue, all these different feelings were eating her up.

She hadn't felt like this with the prisoners. Maybe it was because they were prisoners, or she had never observed their reactions so up close. Maybe it was because this time, she had done it in front of a young boy.

"Harry," Hill moved her dry lips, "you have to go home."

She still had her back to him,. After her words, there was a long moment of silence. She thought the boy had gone away before she heard his small voice again.

"It's not your fault." The boy said firmly. "He pointed that stick at you first. He's a wizard, right? He was about to cast a spell on you. I heard him, Hill."

Hill felt her heartbeat stop for a second. She had braced herself for many reactions the boy would give; from running away without another word to shouting "what have you done to that man?!". But she never expected that Harry would defend her.

"No..." She spun around and clenched onto the boy's shoulders, her voice trembling, "he was an innocent man, and I couldn't even control myself... Oh god... You have no idea what I've done to him!"

Did I just feed on his soul? Will he live in agony and pain for the rest of his life?

The boy looked startled at her reaction. She tried to find a trace of fear his emerald eyes, but all she could see was worry and concern.

She bent down and pulled the boy into a tight hug.

He trusts me.

"Thank you." She murmured beside his ear. She felt the boy's shoulders tense up, then dropped down. A small hand patted her on her back.

Been thrown into a world and turned into a vile and ugly creature, she had sunk into an ocean of eyes -- eyes piercing through her with horrid, despair, and hatred. But she was lucky enough to meet a boy who had accepted her and was willing to stand by her side.

However, reality would never leave them at peace.

Hill pulled herself back together and stood up, "You know how to get back, right? Lead the way."

Harry nodded and walked towards Hill. Before she could react he had grabbed her hand with his. She could feel his skinny little fingers through her glove. The boy held on to her hand firmly as he started walking. They walked in silence. But this time, the silence was not unbearable; it was like the lukewarm water of a lake in midsummer, and it blanketed her.

When they reached Hill's house the boy spoke up quietly in his innocent, young voice, "You are not a bad person, Hill."

"...You should get home now." She didn't respond to Harry's remark and squeezed his hand before letting it go. The boy's eyes followed her as she made her way to the door.

When she touched the doorknob with her fingers, she sighed and turned around. Hill thought about how she would word this sentence, but she blurted it out before her mind could catch up, "I'm leaving, Harry."

She lowered her head to avoid eye contact with the boy, "They'll try to find me and search this area, I can't stay here anymore."

"You're leaving?" Harry's voice sounded far away, it was almost like a whisper she couldn't quite catch. "...Will you be back?"

"I don't know." She bit her bottom lip. "Just... don't come to this house again."

Hill was scared that when she raised her head she would see the boy's face covered in tears. She knew she was the only comfort in Harry's life, as of now. Leaving here would mean that the boy would be thrust back into his lonely world again. She had barged into Harry's life, giving him hope, then leaving on her own will.