Chapter Forty Nine

Start from the beginning

"I have a question," Minho declared as they circled around the training area, many of the young people stopping what they were doing to watch Minho walk by. "Why did you agree to that marriage proposal? Why did you not cancel it after Jisung was born?"

"Do you wish I had?"

Minho thought for a moment. "No, I'm just curious if you knew that your son was going to marry a man because of it."

"I did know, and I wanted it that way," Master Sang-hyuk gave him a small smile. "When you first came to visit all those years ago, I knew your character. You were kind and loving and would take care of those you loved. I wanted that for my son, and I knew back then that there would be a time when my son and my country would need someone like you to protect it."

"Are you serious?"

"Completely."

"Wow," Minho laughed. "You're really unusual."

"Prince, there is nobody quite like you," Master Sang-hyuk continued. "Which is why I need you, and you can not be replaced. Don't you see? We're wasting time," he stopped in his tracks and turned to look at Minho. "We are losing time. We only have a little bit. I need to teach you what you need to know."

"Why?" Minho asked, staring right back. "Why should I? I hear your reason and they don't seem like good reasons to me."

"Even if you think that, you can not tell me that we are not in danger now, and that you should do your part."

Minho blinked. "No, I can't. But that doesn't mean that I should be on the front lines. I'm not suited for that."

"Well," Master Sang-hyuk stepped back with a chuckle. "If you say so. Now, tomorrow at dawn, you're going to wake up and we're going to start, whether you like it or not. I'm done waiting and you're done sitting around."

And it didn't look like Minho had a choice.

~oOo~

Sure enough, the next morning at dawn, Minho was wrenched from his sleep by cold hands that pulled him out of bed.

"AHHH!" Minho screamed as he was yanked forward, a thin robe pulled over his shoulders, and he was dragged out of the room.

"Let go!" Minho yanked his arms out of the grip of whoever was dragging him. He couldn't tell, they had masks on.

They dumped Minho right outside in a field full of green grass. "You..." Minho seethed as he stood up, his eyes adjusting to the dim light outside.

Master Sang-hyuk stood in front of him. "Well isn't that something."

"Sure is," Minho muttered as he looked around.

"First day. I want you to run this entire field until the sun is high in the sky, and then I want you to get on a horse," he pointed to a few targets that were set up along the opposite side of the river. "And if you miss a target, you take that horse two laps around as well."

"That's..." Minho narrowed his eyes.

"Get started!"

And there he was left alone. They knew that he wouldn't go anywhere without Hei-ran, who was still inside. Funny, these guys.

Minho stared up at the sky. The sun could hardly be seen. He sighed and lowered his head.

Whenever he did something, he always did it to his best ability. Would this be any different?

Well, if they weren't going to let him go, he would just have to be the best then, wouldn't he?

He looked around at the large field. Run it until the sun is high in the sky. He could do that... probably.