Chapter Forty Two

"Up ahead!" Changbin yelled as he spotted a large group of horses approaching them. "Who the hell are they?"

An arrow that just missed his head told him the answer. "Shit! Get down!" he yelled, as another arrow just missed his horse's leg.

The three men had almost reached the Han Palace, but the assassins were closing around them from the front and the back. Minho pulled his bow and arrow from his pack and aimed, letting his arrow fly into the chest of one of the approaching men in a black mask.

As they reached their line Changbin let his reins go, pulling both his fine black and silver blades from his shoulders and slashing through two men that flanked him.

"Watch out!" Min-hyung hissed as he got a cut to his arm, but he turned stabbing the man through the chest, sending the assassin flying from his horse.

"We can't stay here! They're holding us back from helping!" Changbin yelled as he took out three more in a single slash of his swords.

"We're wasting time!" Min-hyung shouted back. "Go! I'll hold them!"

"Minho, go! I'll stay with him!" Changbin nodded to the prince, who stared at him before taking an arrow to his calf.

"AHH!" he shouted, nearly falling from Cho's back.

"Minho!"

"I'm fine!" Minho shot his own arrows in turn, taking three men from their saddles.

"You have to go ahead!" Changbin roared as he jumped from his horse, landing on the horse next to his, throwing the original owner from the saddle. "We can take them!"

"YOU BASTARDS!" A roar overtook the battle as everyone turned to see who had made such a rattling cry.

Minho's eyes flew wide open as he found a man dressed in all white as he slashed through two men as he leapt from his horse, landing on the ground at the center of the battle.

Changbin and Minho shared wide-eyed looks. "Who is he?" Min-hyung asked as he ran his horse up next to Minho.

"I... I've seen him before," Minho muttered, watching as men fell like twigs around the man in all white. The White Mask.

"Prince Minho!" The White Mask looked up to stare up at Minho. "Go! Save them!"

Minho hesitated, before kicking Cho, riding out of the battle, Changbin and Min-hyung hot on his heels.

"I can see it!" Minho roared as he spotted a blazing fire in the distance.

"The palace is on fire!" Changbin yelled as he pushed his own horse faster to catch up with Minho. "Watch out! They're still around!"

Minho ran right through the flames, passing through the tunnel into the palace. "SHIT!" Changbin yelled as he ran after him, finding the entrance littered with bodies, mostly of the palace guards with a few Black Masks among them.

"WHERE ARE THEY?" Minho shouted as he jumped from his horse and ran into the blaze that was the western half of the palace.

"JISUNG!" he shouted, coughing as he looked around. "JISUNG!"

"Prince Minho?" Minho turned whirled around to find a young woman, her face blackened with ash, leaning over the royal robes and body of Princess Jeongyeon.

Minho stared at her as Min-hyung ran in after him, staring at the fallen princess, blood running from from a wound in her chest. He looked around as he pulled the young woman from the princess's side. "Come on, let's get out of here!" he gripped her arm and pulled her out of the burning building of the west wing and moved into the courtyard.