[ twenty-three: real life ]

my alarm goes off around six, i quickly turn it off. cody groans under the covers next to me. i slowly get out from my bed, he turns to the other side trying to get back to sleep. i'm so happy he's here.

i get in and out of the shower quickly, i dry my hair straight and go back into my bedroom to do my makeup. cody is standing up and looking through the window sleepily.

"good morning." i say softly trying not to startle him. he turns slowly and smiles at me.

"good morning! big day, you excited?" he says as he comes over to me and wraps his arm around my waist.

"excited? yes. but i'm still really nervous." i admit. he looks at me and kisses me quickly.

"you're going to kill it. i'm going to make you some breakfast, is eggs and toast okay?" he asks lovingly.

"mmhm" i hum. "thank you cody."

"its nothing. now get ready!"

if only he knew that i was really thanking him for being the best thing in my life.

after kissing cody goodbye i left my house to get the show on the road. i'm so incredibly nervous that i won't get this job. i've been working towards this my whole career and it's right at my finger tips yet so much further than it's ever been.

i pull into the stadium parking lot. it's practically empty with the exception of employee cars and some really expensive looking cars that most definitely had to be mlb employers' cars. my heart begins racing as i sit in my car trying to calm my nerves.

i let out a deep breath and grab my bag as i open and step out into the blazing LA heat. i straighten out my pants and dress shirt, i look into the mirror fixing my hair a bit and then closing the car door. i give myself one last look in the side mirror and lock the car as i walk towards the entrance.

i've walked through this entrance millions of times but today is so much more different. a million and one times is going to define my career. here we go.

--

i walk in and am instantly greeted by a security guard, "hey, i'm here for an interview. sadie knight." he nods and hands me a badge to clip to my shirt with the word "VISTOR" in bold letters written on it. he points me in the direction of the interview room. i thank him and make my way over.

there's a sign on the door that says to knock before entering. i go to knock and the door opens just before i do. i jump back a little bit. "hello, i'm sadie knight. i'm here for an interview." the woman at the door nods and opens the door all the way and lets me in.

"sit here. they'll be right with you." she says sternly. "got it, thank you." i tell her, she smiles and leaves the room. turns out the door leads to another hallway with chairs all around the room and another door that leads to a separate room. no one else is in the little waiting area. strange.

after a few minutes, the door opens and two men come out. i try not to pay too much attention to what they're saying out of respect. they say their goodbyes and the man who stays looks at me. he walks towards me with a smile, "ms. knight?" he asks his hand reached out towards me, i get up and shake his hand firmly, "yes, but please call me sadie."

"okay, sadie. why don't you come on in, we're ready for you." i smile and make my way into the room.

"go ahead and take a seat." he says going around to his side of the desk. there's a few other people in the room, i mostly recognize them as other reporters/announcers. i wave and they return the gesture.

"alright sadie, you have an extremely impressive resume and have been working closely with the team for the entire season. i've read many of your articles and love your writing style, but it doesn't look much like you're trying to write for the Insider as much as you want to report and follow the team."

he pauses and looks up at me, "yes that is correct. i've been writing for almost my entire career and i really want to get experience in broadcasting. i loved it as a student and i feel very sure that i could bring something of value to the team." i state. he nods and we go on like that for a little while longer.

"well sadie, it was such a pleasure to meet you and identify your talents on and off screen. thank you so much for coming in." he says getting up from his seat.

"of course, thank you so much for the opportunity. how soon will i know you've made your decision?" i ask confidently.

"oh you'll know. thanks again, i hope to see you again soon." he smiles while shaking my hand.

i go around the room shaking hands again. i turn the nob and walk out of the room. i let out the biggest sigh.

i make it back out to my car and turn the AC on full blast to feel something again. i check my phone and see a few messages from cody and emmy. i respond, then start the car to head out of the parking lot.

--

hi guys! so the chapter before this one i had no idea what i was going for in this story but i think i finally got a little more inspo and i like where it's going as of now. i hope you guys are enjoying it as much as i am. i wanted to let you know that i have a new story up! it's not cody or baseball related but id love it if you gave it a read. i'm planning on uploading the first chapter later this week! i hope you're all staying safe and staying healthy. i love you guys, thank you for the support! don't forget to vote, comment, and add this story to your library to get notified when i upload a new chapter!

xo gabriela