━━━━ viii

Start from the beginning

"did i do something wrong?" leah asked sadly.

"no, rossi's just like this sometimes," hotch replied. "don't worry, he'll warm up to you eventually."

"if you say so," leah responded, looking at rossi's door once more.

hotch then showed leah to her desk, where she sat down and started her paperwork. she had occasional conversations with the team- her and emily became fast friends, and emily was really glad to have another girl around. derek morgan was glad too.

"alright; i'm heading to the break room," leah started. "anyone want anything?"

leah wasn't hallucinating when almost every single person surrounding her raised their hand.

"nevermind," leah sighed, walking away towards the break room.

she didn't grab something for everyone, only a coffee for herself, a coffee for spencer, since his was the only order she remembered (5 sugars, how could she forget?), and also grabbed a little something for david rossi, who she was determined to get to like her by the end of the day.

before she left the break room, she ran into jj, who started a conversation with her.

they talked for a few minutes before leah made her way back to her desk. she gave spencer his coffee; which he thanked her gratefully for, and also earned a few remarks coming from emily prentiss, joking about how leah cared more about spencer than she did about her.

"hey," leah responded. "i only got him his coffee because his was the only order i remembered."

"still," emily fake pouted, crossing her arms.

"don't be a child."

leah then made her way to david rossi's office.

𖥸
a little change in pov,

"i love her," emily said as leah walked away

"i love her," emily said as leah walked away. "i think i'm going to adopt her."

"too late," garcia said as she passed by. "already called dibs."

"hey! no fair. but seriously, she's amazing."

"she is, but she's terrified."

"what do you mean?" derek chimed in. spencer also gave garcia a confused look at her statement.

"she's super nervous. i shouldn't be telling anyone this, she told me to keep it a secret. she just feels like this is her last chance of having a good life- she's lost so much, she's tired of it."

all of the agents exchanged looks. they were surprised they hadn't seen it themselves. they're profilers for the fbi, and somehow they weren't able to see that the girl was nervous. she was able to put on a confident front to them and none of them saw past it.

𖥸
ok back to focusing on leah

leah knocked a few times on david rossi's office door

leah knocked a few times on david rossi's office door. when she heard a muffled "come in," she opened the door and gave him a half-smile.

"hello, agent rossi," leah said. he looked up at her, unamused. "i-uh, i brought this for you. i didn't know what you liked so, i just grabbed my favorite."

david rossi grabbed the pastry from her hand and placed it on his desk, not saying a word. leah, again, was saddened by this.

no, no she wouldn't let this man ruin her day! she wanted to know what she did that made david rossi not want to like her.

"excuse me, sir," leah started again. "but, did i do something wrong?"

david rossi looked up at her, saying nothing.

"it's just, you said nothing to me when hotch introduced me earlier, and i just wanted to know if it was something i did-"

"i'm sorry," he finally said.

leah didn't say anything, she just looked at him, wanting him to go on.

"you just kind of, i don't know, scare me."

leah's face slowly turned to a look of confusion as she made eye contact with him.

"you took a bullet for hotch, kid. you could have been killed. why'd you do it?"

leah thought for a second, not knowing the answer to that question herself.

"hotch didn't deserve to die. i saw anger in porter's eyes and i knew what he was up to. i'd do anything for hotch."

"you're dangerous because of that."

"how do you mean?"

"look, kid," leah smiled internally at that nickname. "it's amazing that you did that for hotch. i have the feeling you'd do that for anyone, even a stranger. but, your life matters just as much as everyone else's on this team. look out for yourself, and be careful."

leah was at a loss for words once more. "y-yes sir."

she got up to leave, but before she exited she turned towards david once more. "thank you, agent."

"call me rossi," he smiled at hEr.