Zoe sighed, finally giving up on rearranging Billie's dress. It had been pressed earlier that morning but now had lost its appearance due to Billie's rough handling. She released the folds of the bottom of the dress and tilted her head, giving Billie an exasperated look.

"It's just one more night. Just be nice. And then turn him down gently."

"Easy for you to say, Zoe. Papa isn't trying to force you to marry."

"Because I'm not of age yet. But unlike you, I can't wait to get married! Then I can go see the world and experience all life has to offer." She said, an excited twinkle in her eyes.

Billie stared at her incredulously. Zoe couldn't possibly be more of an opposite from Billie. Everything about them, from their looks to their personalities and outlooks on life, was completely different. It was a wonder how they were the absolute best of friends.

Billie shook her head and wrapped an arm around the girl's shoulders. "Oh you poor, naive younger sister of mine. When you get married, your life won't be spent enjoying all the world has to offer. You'll be trapped at home raising your husband's kids while your vitality withers away in front of you."

"Says you, Billie. I can't wait to have children." Zoe pinched Monty's cheeks tenderly, "Especially if they turn out as cute a little boy as you Monty."

"Zoe! I'm not a cute little boy!" he whined struggling against his sister's fingers. "I'm a grown man!"

"I'm sorry. That you are." She turned to Billie again, "Mama is looking for you by the way. She's in the kitchen."

Billie nodded and went back into the house, grumping about having to deal with this ridiculousness. Billie sighed as she walked into the kitchen, slumping on the stool near the stove. Mara Donahoe was looking over the chicken simmering in the pot, muttering under her breath about the lack of salt.

"I thought you said you were going to talk to Papa about the suitors."

Mara glanced briefly at Billie, stirring the pot slowly, "Honey, I have. He's just not going to let this go."

"Why is he trying so hard to get me married off?"

"You're nineteen. Most girls your age have already had their first children by now."

"...Or maybe he's trying to get rid of me." Billie muttered, picking at a loose thread of lace on the skirt of her hideous dress.

Mara moved the pot off the stove and cast Billie a fond look of exasperation, "Now you know Papa is not trying to do anything of the sort. He loves you."

"Are you sure about that?" she said lowly, "How can he love someone who isn't even his daughter?"

Mara turned around and faced Billie, a frown on her features. "Not this again. I've told you multiple times that you are our daughter. Stop this nonsense."

"Look, with all due respect, I could accept that if I didn't look completely different from you all."

"Billie, not all children resemble their parents. You're our eldest. You just happened to inherit traits from our prior ancestry that your siblings did not. Now enough of that talk. If Papa hears you bring that up again, he'll be very upset." She said sternly.

"Yes ma'am" Billie said, sighing.

She still didn't believe it. The other four Donahoe's had brown or grey eyes, but Billie's were a clear aqua blue. And they all just were way different looking than Billie. As a child, she never really paid attention to the fact that she looked nothing like her siblings or the parents who birthed her, but as she aged, her suspicions slowly grew. It just didn't make sense. Her appearance wasn't the only issue as well. Billie just didn't resemble any of them. Mara and Gerry spent so much time trying to explain to her that she just looked different, but Billie couldn't help but feel a sneaking suspicion that she wasn't truly a member of this family.