Averting Birthday Disaster

Mulai dari awal

Roxanne was overjoyed to see Madelina, hugging her on sight. Madelina felt trapped, and politely asked to be released.

"Sorry, Maddy, but I just haven't seen you in so long!"

"I'm just surprised that you've remembered me. I can't say the same about myself, Roxanne. I haven't thought about you for a while."

"Please, call me Roxy."

"You still let people call you that?"

Roxanne looked a bit forlorn. "Yes, I still do." Roxanne paused, "Do you let people call you Maddy?"

"Not at all. I'm far too old for pet names."

"Too old?"

"My parents stopped calling me that once I turned 13."

Roxanne glanced away, disappointed. Madelina had changed a lot since fifth grade. She remembered her being much warmer than this. But it's only natural for people to change in four years.

"I look forward to catching up with you, Madelina. But, first, I must introduce you to my friends."

Inky was in the amulet and telepathically said, "Your friend is hot."

Madelina was taken aback.

But then she remembered that similar magical amulets allow the owner and the trapped spirit to communicate telepathically.

Unfortunately, this allows the demon to read the owner's thoughts and blocks the owner from reading the demon's thoughts. Not that Madelina would like to know what Inky's thoughts were.

"How old are you?" Madelina asked Inky.

Inky couldn't give Madelina an exact age.

"My people keep time differently from yours."

"Roxanne is 14." Madeline thought. "I'm willing to bet you a million dollars that you're older—much, much older—than 14."

"I think I might be over a thousand. I said I think, don't fucking ask me for the exactments!"

Roxanne introduced Madeline to a short girl with bat features and flowers in her blond, braided hair, and a t-shirt with a picture of a garden and khaki shorts.

"This is Daisy, Madelina. I've known her for a while."

Madelina and Daisy shook hands. If she weren't wearing gloves, Daisy would've likely scratched her with her claws.

"What's your favorite flower?" Daisy asked. She was a soft-spoken bat girl.

Madelina thought for a bit. "I like scentimental roses."

"Good choice."

Madelina and Daisy began to converse a bit, but Roxanne interrupted them, grabbing Madelina's wrist.

"How about we go and find the other guests?"

Daisy seemed concerned, but said nothing.

Inky muttered something in a language Madelina couldn't understand. It was an insult about Daisy and Roxanne.

Roxanne found 2 girls lounging about on the sofa, talking amongst themselves.

"Miku and Allegra, I would like you to meet an old friend of mine."

Miku was a willowy girl that was half Japanese human and half air elemental. Her hair was long and light gray, and her eyes were clouded bright purple color. She was wearing a Pikachu shirt and sailor shorts.