Averting Birthday Disaster

Sommerset had a few things to tell Madelina about Inky. A few, rather concerning things.

"That thing can turn into an anaconda! Why are you spending time with him?"

Madelina felt that Sommerset was being overprotective. "I understand you're my best friend and loyal bodyguard, but Inky hasn't shown himself to be a threat."

Sommerset growled, his ears pinning back. "Are you prepared for the time when he is a threat?"

"I have a lot of magic tricks up my sleeves."

Sommerset's whiskers twitched."You don't know how powerful Inky is. There's no way you can know his limits for sure."

"What do you want me to do? Should I just give the amulet away? Do you realize how dangerous that would be?"

"Is keeping the amulet the best solution, Madelina? I'm sure Alex could use it more than you."

Madelina's patience had run out.

"Alex could be dead for all we know! Did you consider that, you dog!?"

Somerset didn't like being called a dog, but there was nothing he could say to make Madelina change her mind. Few could. Sommerset slinked away, worrying that Madelina would find herself in a situation that she couldn't escape from.

Madelina studied in her book, Demons: A Practical Guide, hoping to find a mention of an amacualli. There was none.

Madelina was shocked and frustrated. How? How can something as easily identifyable as Inky not be found yet?!

Well, at least I know what I'm going to write my doctorate in Demonology about.

Madelina next got a phone reminder that Roxanne's birthday party was that afternoon. She had forgotten.

Inky was still asleep, so Madelina woke them up by poking him.

Inky didn't react well to that.

"Inky, stop biting my wrist!"

Inky did not. In fact, he clamped down harder.

Madelina started to prepare a fire spell.

"INKY, STOP THIS!"

Inky unlatched. Madelina examined his bite mark and treated it. If probably wouldn't clear up time for the party. But that's what gloves are for.

The e-invitation didn't specify what to wear other than "something nice." So, she took it as it being semi-formal, at most. Madelina wore a black leather jacket with studs, fur trim, and an orca on the back. She wore a Prussian blue ruffle skirt and thigh-high bright red socks. She wore black ballet flats with a bow at the front. She put a headband with a red bow on her head. She covered her bite mark with black biker gloves. She wore the Amulet of Wrath around her neck, it going well with her outfit.

Madelina and Roxanne were best friends in the tail end of elementary school but haven't really talked to each other since. Madelina felt that she might not recognize Roxanne anymore.

She was partly right. She had grown up a lot since then, but kept her perky attitude. She certainly didn't recognize Roxanne's friends.

Roxanne was a year younger than Madelina and nowhere near as serious. She had long, pink, hair with a couple of black streaks.It was often seen in low pigtails. Her bangs were swept behind her left ear. Roxanne had an hourglass figure and her skin was a light brown.

She was still as girly as Madelina remembered her, but now Roxanne was wearing a low-cut pastel pink Sailor Moon crop top and black shorts with purple-and-black striped stockings with garters. She had high heels that were white with pink tops, eyeball earrings, and a plush bat backpack. Her nails were painted hot pink.