Chapter 18

The smell of coffee filled my nostrils as I made my way into the local Starbucks. The door let out a little chime as it shut behind me and I pushed my way through the throng of people crowding the door, making my way towards one of the secluded booths in the back. I scanned the hundreds of people crowded in the back, looking for his familiar black hair and warm brown eyes but came up blank. I hope I’m not late, I thought to myself as I looked at the clock on the wall. Nope, 7 o’clock just like he said.

I sighed as I sat down in one of the comfy, red booths and discreetly checked my phone for any new messages from Zayn. After coming up with nothing, I placed my phone on the table and leant back in my seat. I closed my eyes and almost drifted off to sleep when a voice pulled me back to reality.

“Are you ready to order?” The voice asked as I opened my eyes and flushed bright red. The guy standing in front of me had to be the most attractive guy I had ever seen (but nobody could ever compare to Zayn.) His shaggy, chestnut brown hair fell into his eyes, drawing attention to his captivating browns. His facial features were molded into those of a Greek god’s and his lips were  very full and the color of the softest shade of pink. I flushed as I noticed the way his shirt clung to his well toned chest and how when he crossed his arms it made his arm muscles bulge.

“Not yet, I’m waiting for someone,” I said, embarrassed at how I had been openly checking him out.

“You sure?” He asked, cocking an eyebrow at me. “A beautiful girl like you shouldn’t be kept waiting for long, you never know when some guy could come and take you away,” He added as I felt my cheeks grow warm at his compliment.

“Are you always this nice to all your costumers?” I asked as I smiled at him.

“Only the really pretty ones,” He said as he winked at me and then went to take another table’s order. I sighed as I looked down at my phone for the second time tonight and checked the time again. This time it read 7:15 and I couldn’t help but feel a bit of panic rise in my chest. Zayn was 15 minutes late! What if he’s stood me up? I thought as I nervously bit my bottom lip and twirled the phone in my fingers. He could’ve just been caught up in something at home, no need to jump to conclusions, I’m sure he’s on his way right now, I thought to myself.

“You know if you keep doing that one of these days it’s going to break?” His voice asked as I jumped in surprise, almost dropping my phone.

“You scared the crap out of me,” I said as I held a hand to my heart. I looked into his beautiful brown eyes filled with amusement and watched in horror as he sat down in the seat across from me.

“What are you doing?” I asked him skeptically.

“Sitting down,” He replied in a confused tone.

“Don’t you have to work?” I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

“My shift just ended,” He said as he sent a sexy smirk in my direction.

“Listen…” I said waiting for him to fill in the blank with his name.

“Josh,” He said, the smirk never leaving his face.

“Listen Josh, my date’s going to be here soon and I’m sure he’s not going to be too happy to see me in the presence of an attractive male such as yourself,” I said as I placed my elbows on the table.

“You think I’m attractive?” He asked as his smirk only grew wider and I face palmed into my hand. Does it just go in one ear and out the other with this guy?

“Are you always like this?” I asked, trying to hide my smile.

“All the time,” He said as he leaned back in his chair and looked at me.